• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got My .58 Caliber Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sent Mr. Hoyt a roached .54 New Englander barrel. It was re-chambered to .58 caliber with rounded grooves and 1/60" twist. That is the smoothest cut rifled barrel i have ever seen. Today i loaded the rifle with a .570 ball, powder and a lubed drill cloth patch. One sharp rap on the short starter got the ball seated and the ramrod went down easily. Will sight in the rifle next week.

Thank you Mr. Hoyt.

I have the same barrel from a 24” donor. It’s very nice, IMO anything you get from Mr Hoyt is a bargain...
Those hogs better worry... if they aren’t already!

Fired the rifle yesterday at 50 yards.

The day was overcast and i had trouble with aligning the black front sight on the target. The rifle loaded easily after a rap on the short starter. Best group measured about 1 3/4 inches. Will return to the range on a bright day and finish zeroing.

Ball: Hornady .570
Patch: Drill cloth
Lube: Frontier's
Powder: 90 and 100 grains of Black MZ
Cap: Remington #11

That rounded groove barrel is so much easier to clean.

Thanks Mr. Hoyt

I spoke to him today and he could not recall if he could do a 58 in a New Englander barrel. I sent him the barrel with the understanding that he would do 58 cal in a round ball twist if he could, and recut the rifling in 54 if not.

Fired the rifle yesterday at 50 yards.

The day was overcast and i had trouble with aligning the black front sight on the target. The rifle loaded easily after a rap on the short starter. Best group measured about 1 3/4 inches. Will return to the range on a bright day and finish zeroing.

Ball: Hornady .570
Patch: Drill cloth
Lube: Frontier's
Powder: 90 and 100 grains of Black MZ
Cap: Remington #11

That rounded groove barrel is so much easier to clean.

Thanks Mr. Hoyt
When everything aligns and I can see the sights, I’ve gotten 1” or so 5 shot groups at 100 yards with mine. Not everyday, but it’s happened multiple times. Find the radius bottom rifling with narrow lands easy to load and clean.

Back