• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got lucky!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpa40

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at my dads and mentioned the powder shortage and about Goex and he said he had some I could have. (we use to do civil war reenacting as artillery and infantry). So we go to the garage and he points out a powder box. It has about 20 pounds of 1f in it. Kind of bummed I told him it was for a cannon and he said hold on in my storage shed there is a few pounds of powder to, Well there was about 20 pounds of 2f Goex in there he said take that to so I did.
I'm good for awhile. Now I need to find an Artillery unit near by to get rid of the 1f.

Back when I thought I was really going to get into smooth bores I bought 10# of 1F, turns out I liked my rifles better. I still have 8# of 1F, I tried it in my .54, I got a deer killing group but not near as tight as when I shot 2F.

When I saw the crunch coming I bought 10# of combined 2 and 3F, if things turn south for our B/P supply because of regulation changes or whatever, when I run out of 2 and 3F I can keep deer in the freezer with 1F

Back when I thought I was really going to get into smooth bores I bought 10# of 1F, turns out I liked my rifles better. I still have 8# of 1F, I tried it in my .54, I got a deer killing group but not near as tight as when I shot 2F.

When I saw the crunch coming I bought 10# of combined 2 and 3F, if things turn south for our B/P supply because of regulation changes or whatever, when I run out of 2 and 3F I can keep deer in the freezer with 1F
I might have to try it. Don't know where I would start with a charge though.

Thanks everyone I will try the 1f to see what I can do with it but I do have a nice supply of 2f so I don't know if I will need to tap into the 1f but it is nice to know I can use it if need be.

I use 1F in my 20ga as well, the gun is an old Gustomsky trade gun that shoots a ball well but had the worst patter I have ever seen. I went to 1F and a Skychief load, now I could knock a squirrel out of a tree at 20 yards easily.

How well, or poorly, does 1F work in a 20 gauge smoothbore with shot?
I have the 20 gauge but don't have a cannon.
The first powder that I made was about 3/16"-1/4" granulations because of the only screen that I had to use. I used it in my 50 TC at a shoot and shot over 100 rounds with no noticeable difference from shooters on either side of me. I simply used my 65 grain measure to start and through the day increased to 70.

How well, or poorly, does 1F work in a 20 gauge smoothbore with shot?
I have the 20 gauge but don't have a cannon.
For about $15. at a kitchen supply house you can purchase a marble mortar and pestle. Myself and others use it to grind 4f to 5f for our flinters.
I see no reason you couldn’t do similar with 1f
Question: What is a Skychief load ?
Doc,

Last edited:
For about $15. at a kitchen supply house you can purchase a marble mortar and pestle. Myself and others use it to grind 4f to 5f for our flinters.
I see no reason you couldn’t do similar with 1f
Doc,

Right on Doc, no need to shy away from 1F, it's gun powder, Seems as though we have gotton picky, picky. Haven't even seen hard times yet.

Last edited:
Back