• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got impatient...New-to-me Euro Arms 1941 Mississippi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockhead

32 Cal
Reaction score
I posted last week about searching for an early-style M1841 Mississippi Rifle, but I found what I think was an ok deal and so jumped in. I don't have my hands on it yet, but I should in the next couple of weeks. According to the seller, it's a Euro Arms in .58, not the original .54 with the fixed sight and no bayonet lug I was looking for. It was half the price for a new Pedersoli and I liked the nice looking walnut stock so I was willing to take the risk.

If I decide to keep it is there anyone who could replace the rear sight with an original fixed/simple-type sight and remove the bayonet lug? Maybe not worth the hassle?

AeEk8C7l.png

5HYZwCtl.png

599wlECl.png

6V5l7gfl.png

Someone has set that up for skirmishing. Judging by the discoloration the front sight was soldered on with a propane torch and if so should be easy to remove. That front sight would not be correct for a .54 caliber version. The bayonet lug may have been added (sometimes soldered on) or came from the factory that way. If the long range sight was installed correctly there is a dovetail and a drilled & tapped hole in the barrel that would need to be filled before the rear sight was replaced. I really don't know how many Mississippies Euroarms produced in the original configuration but I expect it wasn't a lot and they are hard to find.

Your rifle looks very nice and should be a good shooter. I wouldn't worry about the bayonet lug but that rear sight really should be replaced. Once you replace the rear sight the front sight might be okay to use. It is very tall and would have to be filed down to sight the rifle in. Mine is a .54 that I got many years ago and have used on deer and is very accurate with prb. I think you'll enjoy it.
PICT0559-zps0fe48261.jpg

If you do sell it I have a navy arms/zoli 1841 with the fixed rear sight and no bayonet lug in 58 cal I am thinking of selling. It's old but very clean.

Actually the long range rear sight is correct for a .58 caliber Mississippi. The sight was added at the time the rifle was bored out to .58 and the bayonet lug added. The front sight is probably way too high and will need to be filed down after a load is worked up.

The add on the front sight should compensate for the high yardage setting of the rear sight. Lowest setting on rear sight most likely is 100 yards. At 25 yards a .562 PRB n 60gns should shoot around 7 inches high of POA. At least my similar Zouave does.

Back