• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got a nice Tom last night.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was dual Hog hunting and Turkey hunting on a friends ranch in South Texas while down here on a business trip.

Brought the Pedersoli Kentucky I refinished last spring with my son. I don’t like to travel with my expensive guns when staying in hotels or generally being in areas where lots of vehicle break ins occur.

Plus this rifle is very accurate and easy to carry. Being a .50 it’s light in the hand and capable of hunting anything anywhere.

First time I hit the box call I got a distant gobble. Started moving to close the distance and they did the same. “They” being three mature birds all about this size.

I got to within about 100 yards and called them in to about 40 where they all hung up and started strutting.

They wouldn’t come closer and I was worried they would figure out I wasn’t a sexy babe...my calling is decent, but I’m a bit of a one trick pony on the box call. Tried calling softer to sound like I was moving away, got behind a huge tree to muffle the sound...nope. So 45 yards or so was what it was going to be. I’m good with that, it was a fair hunt.

One .490 ball center mass and he was DRT. No meat lost either on the side profile shot. Not the biggest I have killed but a very nice bird.

50C8A664-AE39-42CF-B7E0-C8F676EF5FD4.jpeg
90B83433-F995-4835-B0A7-7EACC317357E.jpeg
202FF168-03E1-44EB-B8BF-22536687528E.jpeg

That’s a great bird. I’ve had really good luck bringing them in closer at short yardages by making soft clucking noises with no call just my mouth. Looks like you don’t need any advice though.

That’s a great bird. I’ve had really good luck bringing them in closer at short yardages by making soft clucking noises with no call just my mouth. Looks like you don’t need any advice though.

That’s good advice. Been Turkey hunting every year since I was a teen, not a junkie like some folks, but I really enjoy it.

I like to get them in under 30 yards just because. Killed plenty with a shotgun, rifles are legal here in Texas and I have no issue using one. Many a Jake in the fall has fed camp after getting hit with a deer rifle. But it’s fun to get them in close. Yesterday...45 yards was close enough!

I tried some soft clucks and some feeding purrs and even just let it go by being silent for a couple minutes (that seemed like hours...), they just weren’t going for it.

I never could get the archery bug, got a $1200 bow collecting dust. And I have no shortage of very nice rifles, but the last few years the challenge and appeal of black powder just makes hunting that much more interesting and thrilling.

I reached the point years ago where duck hunting was no longer about body count. If I don’t get their feet down with a call I’m just not motivated to shoot. More and more deer walk by for the same reason now.

Different points in your life, different priorities, right? Each day I realize what a blessing this life is, and how lucky I am.

Latest posts

Back