• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got a nice Tom last night.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good shooting and great bird. I will take 30,40,50 yards anytime carrying the old flintlock. I might have to make a few calls to some friends in TX and see if they have any birds on their place in TX. I didn't know it was any weapon in the spring there. Is it county specific or state wide? I get after them in the spring here in OK and KS with my longbows and then in the fall, don't be where I can see you. I carry one of my long-range single shot bolt action pistols in 222 Rem Mag with 60grn Hollowpoints. I took one last year on my place in NW Oklahoma with my flintlock. The photos are on my old phone that took a manure.
Sound like you have a great shooting rifle. It's always good to mix business with pleasure. I had to go look at a job we might work near Campwood, TX almost to Uvalde and I made a call to a buddy and he said bring the pistols with you and hunt some hogs that are messing up his food plots and wheat fields.
Didn't get the job but I did get to shot a nice hog, three porcupines and a rattlesnake. He has turkey but haven't tried them in those rock hills yet.
Great job.
Mike

Was dual Hog hunting and Turkey hunting on a friends ranch in South Texas while down here on a business trip.

Brought the Pedersoli Kentucky I refinished last spring with my son. I don’t like to travel with my expensive guns when staying in hotels or generally being in areas where lots of vehicle break ins occur.

Plus this rifle is very accurate and easy to carry. Being a .50 it’s light in the hand and capable of hunting anything anywhere.

First time I hit the box call I got a distant gobble. Started moving to close the distance and they did the same. “They” being three mature birds all about this size.

I got to within about 100 yards and called them in to about 40 where they all hung up and started strutting.

They wouldn’t come closer and I was worried they would figure out I wasn’t a sexy babe...my calling is decent, but I’m a bit of a one trick pony on the box call. Tried calling softer to sound like I was moving away, got behind a huge tree to muffle the sound...nope. So 45 yards or so was what it was going to be. I’m good with that, it was a fair hunt.

One .490 ball center mass and he was DRT. No meat lost either on the side profile shot. Not the biggest I have killed but a very nice bird.

View attachment 73195View attachment 73193View attachment 73194
Congratulations, a great looking bird. I like it that you took it with a PRB with minimal meat loss, well done.

Good shooting and great bird. I will take 30,40,50 yards anytime carrying the old flintlock. I might have to make a few calls to some friends in TX and see if they have any birds on their place in TX. I didn't know it was any weapon in the spring there. Is it county specific or state wide? I get after them in the spring here in OK and KS with my longbows and then in the fall, don't be where I can see you. I carry one of my long-range single shot bolt action pistols in 222 Rem Mag with 60grn Hollowpoints. I took one last year on my place in NW Oklahoma with my flintlock. The photos are on my old phone that took a manure.
Sound like you have a great shooting rifle. It's always good to mix business with pleasure. I had to go look at a job we might work near Campwood, TX almost to Uvalde and I made a call to a buddy and he said bring the pistols with you and hunt some hogs that are messing up his food plots and wheat fields.
Didn't get the job but I did get to shot a nice hog, three porcupines and a rattlesnake. He has turkey but haven't tried them in those rock hills yet.
Great job.
Mike

For the entire state I think the wording is “any legal firearm.” For a while in East Texas it was shotgun only for the Eastern Turkeys they were seeding there and trying to get established. Just checked and there are restrictions on what you can use on Eastern birds in deep east Texas.

I am originally from Bracketville. Go west through Uvalde for another hour or so until it gets dryer and scrubbier...then you are getting close. As Judge Bean used to say...there’s no law west of Ft Worth, and no God west of the Pecos.

Last edited:
For the entire state I think the wording is “any legal firearm.” For a while in East Texas it was shotgun only for the Eastern Turkeys they were seeding there and trying to get established. Just checked and there are restrictions on what you can use on Eastern birds in deep east Texas.

I am originally from Bracketville. Go west through Uvalde for another hour or so until it gets dryer and scrubbier...then you are getting close. As Judge Bean used to say...there’s no law west of Ft Worth, and no God west of the Pecos.
Congrats on that bird. If I ever get out again then my 20 gauge trade gun will try for a turkey.

Wish we could do that here in Missouri but shotguns with #4 shot or smaller and bows are all we can use, plus the daily hunt has to end a 1 PM. Our season opens tomorrow and I'll be in the woods about 5 AM.

Back