Quantcast

Got a little carried away with inletting a barrel

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
How big is your barrel the sides of your fire stock should be real close to the barrel an 1/8 or less.
By the time you would get down the right thickness it would be exposing the acuglass.
To save that nice piece of wood I would sell that barrel and buy a bigger.

dave_person

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
That barrel mates really well with a lock that weighs about 1.5 pounds. Most of the plumbing in my house is smaller diameter than that barrel.

dave

oldwood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've fixed a bunch of these "shrunken barrel " problems W / brown dye specially made for all epoxies . Brown dye available from Brownell,s Gunsmith Supply ....Works w/ cheap epoxie sold on line or from dollar store. One small container good for lifetime of gunstocking. Insert tip of screwdriver into liquid dye , and mix , that's all needed for cheap and easy fix.
If repair needs wood slivers installed , or for total epoxie bedding , to keep nasty dried glue off barrel , cut and tape thin plastic grocery bags to barrel for release agent . Why spend buckets of coin for over priced barrel bedding epoxie , and tricky-to-use release agent. Fixin' stuff is tough enough w/o being expensive , too. Shrinking gun barrels are pain in the , well , you know.... luck w/ ye....oldwood

oldwood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When you learn to artfully fix mistakes ,your really making progress. Famous m/l gun barrel maker , Dick Getz said , " When you're working on guns , always wear a 2 power magnifier. Your mistakes will then be 2 times smaller. Yea....He was correct. oldwood

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dave, the more I read on this thread the more confused I get. I don't for a minute think that you could be off that much. But, stranger things do happen. Is this funny, or terrifying for a novice like me.