• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got a dang jag stuck in barrel today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrown

32 Cal
Reaction score
Had a great range day and was packing up to leave. I stupidly decided to run a patch down the barrel and got it stuck good on the way back out. No problem - I tied my aluminum rod to my truck and proceeded to pull the threaded end off. Tried 4-5 times to shoot it out. No joy. Finally got it home and sprayed Ballistol down the barrel and yanked it out. Arrghh!

Had a great range day and was packing up to leave. I stupidly decided to run a patch down the barrel and got it stuck good on the way back out. No problem - I tied my aluminum rod to my truck and proceeded to pull the threaded end off. Tried 4-5 times to shoot it out. No joy. Finally got it home and sprayed Ballistol down the barrel and yanked it out. Arrghh!
I'm just glad that the first time it happened to me there was someone else there who knew what to do. Poured a little water down the borte and waited a few minutes then pushed the stuck patch back down. Then with a little back and forthing it came out ok.

I quit using DANG JAGS for the same reason.

Dang, @Lbrown solved the problem before he hit "Post Reply". What are we going to do to justify the next 20 pages of helpful and not so helpful suggestions?

By the way, good job on getting the stuck patch and rod out of your barrel.
My thoughts exactly, lol.

But I'm glad the o.p. cured his issue.

If he'd have cleaned with Dawn that wouldn't have happened,,,,, 🙄

😉

😄😄😄😄

Should have pinned both ends of the rod…

Saw it right off…

9DD9E885-D291-4DA6-87AF-865AA570BB0A.jpeg

I got a jag with the ramrod stuck the same way, and I needed to go hunting the next day. No problem! When I got to my hunting spot, I unscrewed the nipple and sprinkled in a bit of our magic dust. Pow....didn't come out. A little more magic dust....pow....still stuck. A little more magic dust and two pinches for good luck.....Kapow......the ramrod, jag, and patch all disappeared into some weeds and brush. I never found them. I just bought a new .54 cal jag two weeks ago.

Prevention suggestion. Don't run the jag all the way to the breech on the first stroke. Stop about 1" or 1 1/2" from the bottom, withdraw it and run the second patch to the bottom. That nasty crud ring likes to capture jags.
This.

I'm new to flinty's myself, and the notion of a barrel I couldn't just push all the way through was a little nervy at first.

But after two sessions at the range I got comfortable with the following:

1. Just a center dot of cleaner (choose any) on a clean patch
2. Go down half way, hitch back and forth gently (meaning, in/out or up/down, if that explains better) until it wants to go down further easy.
3. The 2nd patch i do the same, until I get to the bottom and come back.

I dont get stuck this way, and only use a minimum of wet stuff, so Im not dry patching a ton to get it clean again.

If truly STUCK, don't panic...just pour a decent shot of cleaner down until it frees. It will come lose. Now you will just have to use like 6-8 patches to dry it all out.

Deep breath...stuff happens.

Definitely have a patch puller on hand for those occasions u lose one. Amazon sells 'em.

But...with this hitching back and forth as I go down method, I haven't lost one yet.

After many years of cartridge rifles, and then in-lines...I am now totally hooked on rock sparkers.

- Sentry44

Last edited:
This.

I'm new to flinty's myself, and the notion of a barrel I couldn't just push all the way through was a little nervy at first.

2. Go down half way, hitch back and forth gently (meaning, in/out or up/down, if that explains better) until it wants to go down further easy.

I dont get stuck this way, and only use a minimum of wet stuff, so Im not dry patching a ton to get it clean again.

If truly STUCK, don't panic...just pour a decent shot of cleaner down until it frees. It will come lose. Now you will just have to use like 6-8 patches to dry it all out.

Definitely have a patch puller on hand for those occasions u lose one. Amazon sells 'em.

But...with this hitching back and forth as I go down method, I haven't lost one yet.

After many years of cartridge rifles, and then in-lines...I am now totally hooked on rock sparkers.

- Sentry44
It's a whole new world. Now you get to figure out your powder load, type of patch and patch lube and cleaning, or not, between shots. Check on the many threads concerning this, experiment and do what works for you.

My Lyman GPR .50 seems to be less forgiving of multiple shots than my in-line CVA Optima.

As stated above, I take Thor cleaner (but ANY other will do...probably even water) with me to the bench.

After each shot I put a dot of that in the center of a 1.75 inch square patch, run down and back, stopping to hitch backward when I start to feel the stightest tension. Then I do a 2nd patch the same way, and then a dry patch.

So that's 3 patches after each shot. And I'm pretty quick with it. Plus having my powder charges pre-measured in plastic tubes, I can pour powder in, ram projectile, and go.

If I had to point out one key thing, it's that you should push that patch down with 2 fingers + thumb on the rod. This way the slightest pressure will prompt you to stop, pull it back a bit, and then push further down.

If you still get stuck, just pour a little bit of (whatever) down the barrel, and rotate the ramrod a little bit as you pull it out.

* An idea I had, but havent yet tried, is having some slightly smaller patches on hand just for that FIRST thrust down. That will get the chunkiest stuff before the next patch. But I havent tried thos yet because I've gotten good at the above described method.

Just stay cool. Pause and think.

Sentry44

Last edited:
This.

- Sentry44
You are doing it the right way. I have always gone down 10 or 12 inches or close pull back a few inches and go down the same way till I reach bottom. I use nothing at all on my patches when at the range or hunting and have never got a jag stuck.

Latest posts

Back