• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goose down!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to my good friend yet again I got my third goose this season.
Tom had been watching their evening flight for a week or more and invited me up with himself and his son.
Big Ted the 10g was loaded with 1&3/4oz of #3TM on top of 90gns of the finest grade powder I can get my hands on. None of that 2f or 1f nonsense for me and it payed off tonight!
We waited just as Tom instructed next to a huge wheat field on top of a hill. Tom said they will come up from the valley bottom, feed on the stubble then make for their roost.
That is exactly what they did and accompanying them was a fair number of mallard too.
Jess and I waiting.
IMG-20210913-WA0001.jpg

Eventually they lifted but unfortunately the first group saw me and turned. That spooked the next group which did a circle and then resumed their original flight line.
They were coming and I tried to hide from them but the mature birds made me and started to turn.
I had no choice but to wait for the last bird to clear the trees!
It was a long shot with any gun!
The first barrel missed, probably 40yards plus so I pushed the barrels through further a lit it up.
To my amazement the young goose head flopped back and plummeted to earth dead in the air. The shot must of been 50yds plus!

Whilst feeling elated I was also saddened! Poor Tom and his son didn't stand a chance of a decent shot and it was due to me being to exposed and seen by the birds.
Next time that will not happen, God willing.
Tom was determined to provide for his son and thus took us to a pool that often has a few ducks on it.
In the looming darkness we approached the pool after a short drive in his Land Rover.
The pool was full of duck! Tom and me completely missed our birds but young George got his bird perfectly!
Dead in the air. Well done young man 😊
DSC01350.JPG

The dogs had a blast too. Tom's two labradors made good retrieves and Jess did her thing too.
When I got home I hung my bird up and gave jess something to eat then cleaned big Ted.
Kettle on, kitchen cleaning towels and a new batch of grease I'm trialing. It is coconut fat! Smells nice!
20210913_204058.jpg

Thanks Tom for a great evening👍.

Most excellent. I hope that young man has a copy of that picture. Maybe another one stashed away somewhere for him to find years after he has lost his, it will make for cherished memories.
He has the photo friend.
He has shot a muzzleloader too at a show once. He loves seeing the flames and glowing sparks emitted from big Ted 😎

Thanks to my good friend yet again I got my third goose this season.
Tom had been watching their evening flight for a week or more and invited me up with himself and his son.
Big Ted the 10g was loaded with 1&3/4oz of #3TM on top of 90gns of the finest grade powder I can get my hands on. None of that 2f or 1f nonsense for me and it payed off tonight!
We waited just as Tom instructed next to a huge wheat field on top of a hill. Tom said they will come up from the valley bottom, feed on the stubble then make for their roost.
That is exactly what they did and accompanying them was a fair number of mallard too.
Jess and I waiting.
View attachment 93982
Eventually they lifted but unfortunately the first group saw me and turned. That spooked the next group which did a circle and then resumed their original flight line.
They were coming and I tried to hide from them but the mature birds made me and started to turn.
I had no choice but to wait for the last bird to clear the trees!
It was a long shot with any gun!
The first barrel missed, probably 40yards plus so I pushed the barrels through further a lit it up.
To my amazement the young goose head flopped back and plummeted to earth dead in the air. The shot must of been 50yds plus!

Whilst feeling elated I was also saddened! Poor Tom and his son didn't stand a chance of a decent shot and it was due to me being to exposed and seen by the birds.
Next time that will not happen, God willing.
Tom was determined to provide for his son and thus took us to a pool that often has a few ducks on it.
In the looming darkness we approached the pool after a short drive in his Land Rover.
The pool was full of duck! Tom and me completely missed our birds but young George got his bird perfectly!
Dead in the air. Well done young man 😊
View attachment 93984
The dogs had a blast too. Tom's two labradors made good retrieves and Jess did her thing too.
When I got home I hung my bird up and gave jess something to eat then cleaned big Ted.
Kettle on, kitchen cleaning towels and a new batch of grease I'm trialing. It is coconut fat! Smells nice!
View attachment 93992
Thanks Tom for a great evening👍.
Excellent photo of the happy hunters and faithful dogs.

AWESOME Stuff Brit 👍 What Breed is your Dog Jess? Are you familiar with Bedlington terriers? I use to hunt with Terriers years ago, I had Jagdterriers & Patterdales. I think about them often, and miss having em

AWESOME Stuff Brit 👍 What Breed is your Dog Jess? Are you familiar with Bedlington terriers? I use to hunt with Terriers years ago, I had Jagdterriers & Patterdales. I think about them often, and miss having em
Thank you.
Yes, Jess is a whippet cross dam and a Bedlington terrier sire.
Bedlington are a unique breed. Funny characters, very laid back until something comes along they can harass and kill. They seem quite soft mouthed, jess is quite soft mouthed, a dying squirrel often gets chance to get its last bite in and then all he'll breaks loose!
Jess was a rescue dog kind of, I got her a little late so err, we have a compromised relationship. We have some fun....
Patterdales lol, solid lumps of muscle that don't let go lol 👍

Back