• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goodbye Goex :(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After hearing the terrible news of Goex closing, I decided to make this photo showing my remaining Goex (and Olde Eynsford)

252B3E32-9C24-47E2-9586-65A077B3690C.jpeg

Really really sad. God bless,

-Smokey

The day started well then I saw the news about shutting down the Goex plant immediately. (Don't know if this will involve Pyrodex as well.)

I know it's early but I have to hope some company will take over Goex. I like the idea of black powder made in the USA.

Jeff

Effective immediately:

Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place.

Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business.

I find it interesting that Goex has had several accidents over the years while Schuetzen has had none. That said, Goex sells far more powder to the US military than it does to use front loading folks. It's used as a booster in lots of munitions, ejection seats and so on, the list is extensive.

I think Hodgdon is ditching Goex to push Pyrodex and other subs. My opinion here, Goex isn't going away. Somebody is going to buy it and keep selling black powder. Hopefully they do a better job of running the plant than Goex did.

Made in the usa for more than 200 years... that means some of our originals we pick up, likely fired goex back in the heyday...very sad and hopefully the company changes hands without losing authenticity, even better, gaining some back.

I’m sure the current crop of morons that “run” the country will put all kinds of obstacles in the way of anyone wanting to buy it and run it….
And black powder shooting was taking the edge off the manufactured problems with the shooting sports. It's a shame that there's a new category of shortages on the horizon.

After hearing the terrible news of Goex closing, I decided to make this photo showing my remaining Goex (and Olde Eynsford)

View attachment 96327

Really really sad. God bless,

-Smokey
Sad news, but that's a nice "family portrait," @Smokey Plainsman !

Let's not give up hope, though. Look at the reaction this news has generated in less than two days! GOEX wasn't always GOEX, either. They evolved from DuPont, meaning that they have been through corporate changes before. There was a very severe black powder shortage in the early to mid seventies, I believe as a result of a powder plant explosion, but I'll need to verify that. The European powders that we see now were either nonexistent or unknown. It was none other than the late John Bivins, a noted writer and longrifle designer and builder, who came up with the "duplex load" technique during that period for shooting Pyrodex in flintlocks.

It's good that you have some powder to keep you shooting. Shortages happen, and I think it's wise to always keep a little extra on hand. Hopefully, the GOEX organization will be reorganized and the facility reopened. They were a major employer in the town where they were located, and I should think that might be a factor for them to consider.

Now is not the time to be extravagant in shooting, but we can use the powder we have wisely. I plan to keep an ear to the ground and hope for better news in the future, maybe write a concise, polite letter to Hodgdon expressing concern (my brother already has), and consider our other options.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I called Hodgdon just now, and yes, it is true. Production of all black powder is stopped. They are selling what they have in inventory and then that is it folks. The representative I talked to said the immediate shutdown is because they could no longer make a profit. Just not enough sales. Demolition crews, fireworks plants were their biggest customers, and both venues have been really slow.

I called Hodgdon just now, and yes, it is true. Production of all black powder is stopped. They are selling what they have in inventory and then that is it folks. The representative I talked to said the immediate shutdown is because they could no longer make a profit. Just not enough sales. Demolition crews, fireworks plants were their biggest customers, and both venues have been really slow.

Actually that may not be quite accurate, but I'm sure what they said..., I have a source that sold me this....,

They "make a profit" on every bottle, and if it was just sales they'd have been talking about shutting it down before now, YET you have a tough time finding the product "in stock" so it's not the sales... they can't make it fast enough...

BUT it's that the cost of replacement of damaged areas/equipment means several years before the new equipment has been paid off by the profit from the sales...,

NOW the plant has averaged a "fire" every 3.4 years. Most of these have NOT been catastrophic. However, they cannot predict if a fire happens in say..., January of 2025... that it won't be as bad or worse than this year.

SO what the "bean counters" aka accountants are looking at (and it is a business folks that is meant to make a profit) is a possibility that the replaced stuff won't be paid off by the next fire, and IF that fire is just as bad, then that's a bigger loss than this year, and..., if luck is bad and a fire happens within a year of replacement of the equipment and the repairs, then the loss is effectively doubled.....,

..., easier for them because of all the other brands and stuff they make to cut GOEX loose and not run the risk....,

LD

SO what the "bean counters" aka accountants are looking at (and it is a business folks that is meant to make a profit) is a possibility that the replaced stuff won't be paid off by the next fire, and IF that fire is just as bad, then that's a bigger loss than this year, and..., if luck is bad and a fire happens within a year of replacement of the equipment and the repairs, then the loss is effectively doubled.....,

Don't forget the people at the Liability insurance. If your facility has a track record of catching fire with massive explosive potential every 3.5 years. I'm sure most of their profits are getting ****** away on paying insurance premiums.

Don't forget the people at the Liability insurance. If your facility has a track record of catching fire with massive explosive potential every 3.5 years. I'm sure most of their profits are getting ****** away on paying insurance premiums.
Well I'm pretty certain that the reason Hodgdon aquired GOEX was because Hodgdon is large enough to "self insure" the GOEX plant, but a new buyer ??? Likely not..., unless they name is bought and the plant it put in Mexico.

LD

Just this press release:
View attachment 96600
Let me see if I can't make that readable:

View attachment 96601

Thanks! I appreciate the larger print version, too.

Well I'm pretty certain that the reason Hodgdon aquired GOEX was because Hodgdon is large enough to "self insure" the GOEX plant, but a new buyer ??? Likely not..., unless they name is bought and the plant it put in Mexico.

LD

I don't think it could be worse than the Elephant powder that used to come out of Brazil. I still have a couple of unopened cans of Elephant.

Notchy Bob

Back