• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goodby To Old Friends

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I sent to auction a selection of sxs percussion guns most I have had for a decade or two but with my advancing years it was now time to let them go . These guns served me well with many a good day shooting comprising of game shooting and pest control and also clay shooting . All are originals some I restored thus preserving our heritage been their custodian for a great number of years it has now come for them go and hopefully someone else will look after them I have enclosed images .
Feltwad

Last edited:
Hi Feltwad,
Those are classic beauties, with styling and function that will never be bettered. I am sorry it is time to let them go.

dave

It is a sad day when that happens. For many of us with extensive collections, it's difficult to part with our cherished pieces.

I myself am somewhat heartbroken that my kids don't have much interest in my collection, beyond the utility value of a few pieces--like the modern plastic-stocked stuff. To my mind, those are nothing more than soulless tools, like a shop rag. Yeah they work, So what?

I haven't reached the day I will start liquidating yet, but I can see that day from where I am age wise now. I'm just hoping they will want to keep the stuff that I built when I'm no longer able to say what happens to it.

It is a sad day when that happens. For many of us with extensive collections, it's difficult to part with our cherished pieces.

I myself am somewhat heartbroken that my kids don't have much interest in my collection, beyond the utility value of a few pieces--like the modern plastic-stocked stuff. To my mind, those are nothing more than soulless tools, like a shop rag. Yeah they work, So what?

I haven't reached the day I will start liquidating yet, but I can see that day from where I am age wise now. I'm just hoping they will want to keep the stuff that I built when I'm no longer able to say what happens to it.

I understand what you mean coming 82years old I am the fifth generation of our shooting family I still have my grandfather and fathers guns but I am the last with no sons and none of my family interested
Feltwad

Felt wad:

I recently released from captivity a fine French double rifle with spare smoothbore barrels. It broke my heart, but alas, they were no longer being used. I understand the pain. there is no cure for it.

ADK Bigfoot

I'm above my three score and ten and have not started to disperse my meager collection, but I do think seriously about when and how to do that. I have a bunch of grandsons who are all school age. None at this point have expressed a strong interest in my front stuffers. I'll see. One of them may end up with a bunch if they show a strong interest. Otherwise I too will probably sell them off to folks with an appreciation and the money will become part of our estate.

I understand what you mean coming 82years old I am the fifth generation of our shooting family I still have my grandfather and fathers guns but I am the last with no sons and none of my family interested
Feltwad
added: I’m so fortunate that my children, and half of my grandchildren enjoy shooting sports almost as much as I have... my old friends will be treated well.
I wanted to “like” your post but that’s the saddest thing I’ve heard today. I hope you find buyers who will cherish them as you did. Fare well.

Feltwad, I have been contemplating the same for a bit now. Not so much due to age, but rather due to health. My life is a struggle now days. I have a very hard time trying to figure out what stays for now and what goes.
I feel for ya bud!
Walk

Yep, I'm the last of a shooting man in my family and no sons!
Feltwad....you could of blown your wages down the pub or betting shop but you didn't, you learnt a skill that few have and that will never be taken from you.
Salute.

B.

Feltwad, you did a grand job as a steward and protector of those fine pieces of our history. As bitter a pill as it is to be letting them go now, where would they be without your stewardship? Think of it like someone who rehabs wild animals, love them and care for them, fix what ails them to improve their future, while you have them, then set them free.

I so wish that it were possible for me to pluck one from your stewardship that I might hold it in the woods and fields and say, "this was rescued from oblivion by Feltwad, and now it is in my hands to slay pheasants, and, inspire others."
Thank you for your preservation of our past.

Where are these fine looking guns being auctioned?
mahd776
These guns have gone to Holts Auctions Norfolk UK with their main sale on the 23rd and 24th March 2020 and the Sealed bid sale on the 2rnd April 2020 both of these sale are catalogued and on line.
I would also like to point out that I still intend only on lesser scale to restore an collect local gun makers of the Georgian , and Victorian period of my area .I would also like to thank members for their kind and understandings words but sadly it comes to us all .
Feltwad

Sorry to read that. It will be tough for me too, but not for a while yet. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Very nice. Have participated in many, many ML trap shoots and have nothing but fond memories coupled with abject fear of ruining nice ones like yours. (switched from a presentation Nathaniel Whitmore to a Pedersoli double with great relief). Those shown Should go in thousands at proper auction. Set a high reserve!! FWIW as last man standing in a 50 year old "tauntine" the liquidation of the others plus my own is almost overwhelming. I too will have to retain an auction house.

Feltwad: I feel your pain. To me it is great to just hold and admire workmanship. Clean and polish - even shoot a bit. I too have begun to thin things a bit. The treasures will be last to go. The real treasures are the soles in our life and they last forever. Good luck sir!

Lots of pictures are somewhat comforting. Also helpful when youve had nice things and someone decides to accuse you of bovine excrement. In this digital age pic taking, storage and retrieval is about unlimited. Also written info on each is handy and something that add value and will last as long as someone is interested. One of the tautine members was care full to record his great grandfathers aquisitions The American Eagle test luger from Bannermans will be going to Rock Island this spring

Latest posts

Back