• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good weekend lean-to size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm getting to old and lazy to set up a pickup and enclosed box trailer full of gear for events.......so I'm thinking lean-to.
Like many ,I go to enjoy the events and setting up to much gear is getting dangerous close to work.
So having said that, what is a good tarp size for one man for a week or weekend event with room to stow some gear?
Just looking for opinions from experienced lean-to users who have found the perfect size through trial and error.

So I'm getting to old and lazy to set up a pickup and enclosed box trailer full of gear for events.......so I'm thinking lean-to.
Like many ,I go to enjoy the events and setting up to much gear is getting dangerous close to work.
So having said that, what is a good tarp size for one man for a week or weekend event with room to stow some gear?
Just looking for opinions from experienced lean-to users who have found the perfect size through trial and error.
On the trail, I carry a light-weight 8x8 ft tarp that is rarely used. For other activities, I prefer to set up my 10x12 or 12x14 ft tarp as a pup-tent rather than as a lean-to - large enough for 2 people and some gear or 1 person and lots of gear.

Last edited:
Thanks BH. Finding the comprise between comfort, practical and why in the world did I bring all this SH17 is hard to find.
After a long weekend or week, the tearing down and the packing up of some of the fantastic camps I've seen is way more than I want .
I'm slowly learning that a small camp need not be fancy to be comfortable.

I've seen a right smart "lean-to cloth" made 12 x 9. Four feet was the floor, to keep the sleeper from the damp of the ground come toward morning. Then there was a bend at what would be the back of the shelter, and the cloth formed the back angle of the roof, sloping upwards at an angle, taking up the next four feet to the peak. At the peak the last bend was made, sloping the last four feet of cloth downwards, but not to the ground to form a tube-tent. No, the edge where the last four feet of the cloth ended was off the ground by about three feet, as the back angle of the roof was steep, but the front angle of the roof, not as much. Four stakes held the ground piece in place. A single line between trees supported the peak, and two lines to stakes from the suspended corners of the roof where the cloth ended, ran to stakes a bit farther off than the other stakes. "Why so long if for one fellow?" I asked the owner. It turns out that when it rains the 6' occupant had found that he needed about 1.5 feet on either end to avoid moisture from spraying on him, but..., in a really heavy storm he admitted that he needed to drop the peak and weather the situation without a supported roof. The material was high quality cotton bed sheeting, though brown, and had been waterproofed I think with Thompson's Water Seal.

LD

I have used a leanto for the last 25 years, good for one person and realy cuts back on the stuff that you have to carry. if more than just you by yourself then a tent is better.
I found this and it looks like a good idea but i have never tried it.
ou
tom

52349566-087E-4F2F-9860-87E3BFF567D6.jpeg
AE9F2077-A16B-4CE9-8C77-83FC2D510A1F.jpeg

I haven’t tried this one but it looks interesting using a 12 X 15 tarp ....

It would be great just for a night or two in the woods .... I think.

You can just use a tarp on an angle or pup tented as explained above. One thing about events, is there ability to make rain. You can be in the worse drought of a century and plan an event and here comes the rain. Townsend’s sells a short wedge, and panther primitives sells a half faced shelter with a floor and fold that goes over your bedding.
A short set of poles can be easily made and very light weight robe is cheap.

Referring to the two tents depicted above, if used that style based on a 9X12-foot tarp. There's plenty of room for one and basic gear. The only addition I'd make to this style is pull outs on each face to take out some of the sag and more grommets on the door edges to make it easier to shut tight in bad weather. This sort of tarp can be pitched other ways, too.

I have weathered quite a storm under an Army poncho lean-to. Under it, I slept in a second poncho with liner. A similar rig in canvas would probably do as well. I didn't worry about getting my ruck and gear wet as Army stuff is made to get wet. I only kept my rifle under shelter. Despite that my gear was in the shadow of the lean-to enough it stayed fairly dry.

Another 6X9 tarp pitched low as a pup tent also provided plenty of protection. When using it I support it with a shear pole arrangement made of sticks so I have clearance to crawl under it. The sides are no more than a foot off the ground.

12x12 tarp lots of room for one. normaly its summer so I leave it open like this but I have hung up another triangle tarp in the front for privacy or a bit more shelter from weather

Attachments

• IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 103

Latest posts

Back