Good regiment for someone just getting into 18th Century Reenactment?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Quite right!

When asked by the public, I tell them from the point of view of a tavern owner (I can talk colonial brewing too if one has the time) who was forced out because I would not allow my tap-room to be used to foment sedition...,

Anyway, I point out that The Continentals are being aided by The French and The Spanish. French troops are in Rhode Island, and Spaniards are threatening West Florida, East Florida, and Georgia. NOW our British Sovereign is limited and we as British subjects already have rights, BUT...the French and Spanish are absolute monarchs, and PAPISTS <Loyalist Dave shudders> ....😱..., and so they have no guarantee that The French nor The Spanish will leave the colonies if Congress prevails, and we have NO IDEA what sort of government will be established. We could end up with an absolute monarchy too. PLUS why wouldn't The French adopt "The Roman Pattern", and simply stay put after aiding Congress? Ya think they will simply pick up and leave??? THAT is how the Romans started and began in Provence, France. HELLO? It's called "Provance" for a reason! The Romans came into Gaul, helped a local tribe, and then STAYED.

Of course, that isn't what happened in history..., The French and Spanish were just trying to get some free hits in on the UK..., but it was a very real concern at the time (and OH btw I'm a Roman Catholic "papist" in my real life LOL ). But it is fun educating the masses. Most don't know any Americans fought for The Crown, either.

LD

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Woe be it unto any business that attempted to collect the Stamp Tax to defray the cost of the Seven Years War (F&I). A boycott would have been the least of the punishments assessed by the committee of safety. As far as taxation without representation, never mind that British business owners in cities in Britain were not entitled to parliamentary representation but the most menial of British landowners were. And the businesses were taxed. The colonial position on taxes was that the colonies were incorporated under articles of colonization and the profits the colonial corporations made were to pay any taxes, not the citizens of the colonies.

springfield art

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well he asked about 18th century (1700s) so it might be a Brown Bass or a Charleville smoothbore musket - or a "Kenetucky" type rifle - but the advice is still good in general.
You can use Bess for either Brit of American; Charleville for American (or French) only.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
To a certain extent the colonists were somewhat justified in opposing the Stamp Taxes. Once again under terms of their charters, they were bound to buy goods that were manufactured in England and now where else. Therefore in their opinion, any taxes due would have to be paid by the English importers never mind that such taxes would be applied to the cost of goods and the colonists would be paying them anyway, but that was their reasoning.

Now as to using a Charleville, I doubt that many made their way from New England to Georgia and most Besses would be of the Long Land pattern. The Short Land Patterns arrived late in the AWI for the British Regular Army only. The similar is true for the Charlevilles. The large influx of French supplied arms came mostly after the French decided to side with the colonists. You will have to inquire of your unit as to what specific firearm is used.

kyle_kalasnik

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Although I’m not a reenactor, I love reading these posts as they so informative and interesting.

I enjoy studying and learning American History, but I have to say the American Revolution is my favorite.

And if I was going to reenact, I would choose that time period.

Many thanks for the knowledge that is passed on at this forum.

Good luck to Jcmitcham on his search.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Jcmitcham

32 Cal
Reaction score
Although I’m not a reenactor, I love reading these posts as they so informative and interesting.

I enjoy studying and learning American History, but I have to say the American Revolution is my favorite.

And if I was going to reenact, I would choose that time period.

Many thanks for the knowledge that is passed on at this forum.

Good luck to Jcmitcham on his search.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik
Thanks!