• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good reduced load for .45 cal patched ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been shooting 65 grains of 3F Goex for many years in my percussion .45 cal and more recently flint, match guns with good results but of late have been shooting in doors where wind deflection is not an issue. I would like to find a lighter load that is accurate to the 25 yards we shoot indoors. Could use some imput on what is working for others to test out for my indoor load.

My A weight colerain 1/48 twist shoots great with 20 grains of 3f to 25 yards.much beyond that and the light load won't group though. I'm using .440 hand cast ball with an (I think) .018 patch with just spit for lube.

Instead of working up your load, work down. Start at 45gr and move down 5gr at a time until you see accuracy drop off. My guess is you could probably go down to around 20gr but that's just a guess.

I have found accurate to 25 yards or so powderpuff loads with a powder grain setting around half the bore diameter. For a 45 I would expect your accurate light load to be between 20 and 25 grains, +/- depending on your specific gun. Most of my 32s are very accurate with 12-15 grains of powder. Multiple 58s are happy between 25 and 30 grains. Most of my 45s work great with 20 grains. Have a fixed 20 grain measure so I start and usually settle there. Just my opinion based on a few samples. Not difficult, just go out and shoot some loads. No one here can tell you with certainty what load will work best in your gun.

I was using 50 gr if Swiss fffg and still hitting targets at 80 yards at a Labor Day muzzleloader competition. I was impressed enough with that combination to use it for hunting deer during our regular rifle season. .440 ball, blue stripe pillow ticking (.012) and homemade lube (lamb tallow, beeswax and canning wax). I've heard that Swiss is a somewhat "hotter" powder.... YMMV

Good luck and shoot straight!
Rodd

I have my grandson shoot 20 grain FFF in his 45 Cherokee with good groups at 35 yards.

Instead of working up your load, work down. Start at 45gr and move down 5gr at a time until you see accuracy drop off. My guess is you could probably go down to around 20gr but that's just a guess.
I tried the 45 grain load then had to shoot awhile to get the sights regulated after shortening my barrel 4 1/4inches since the last match. The load worked OK as I won the match but I still need to bench it and see what charge wt is the most accurate for it. Thanks for the help!

Back