• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good news!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well apart from the price hike but today I went a gun store to get powder and they only had fine grade which is akin to 4f.
Woohoo I thought. I love the stuff. Less charge weights and clean burning.

Then I asked if they have any shot and got a reply " sort of"!
The store keeper then produced an old 7.62 ammo box with all sorts of lead in it!
Airgun pellets, ball, bullets and ingots!
Underneath was lead shot. From #7&1/2 to #6 in size.
Only wanted £20 so I grabbed it.
Check the photo.
IMG_20191130_183559466.jpg

I sifted the shot with a small collider easy enough. Sorting the .177, .22 &.25 air gun pellets is a royal pain in the.....

The balls are .57. No idea what to do with them lol.
IMG_20191130_200609681.jpg

Now when it comes to digesting out the norm old Bessie has this reputation of being obscene! Now I feel an experiment coming on with a small hand full of airgun pellets! What could possibly go wrong :cool:

Well apart from the price hike but today I went a gun store to get powder and they only had fine grade which is akin to 4f.
Woohoo I thought. I love the stuff. Less charge weights and clean burning.

Then I asked if they have any shot and got a reply " sort of"!
The store keeper then produced an old 7.62 ammo box with all sorts of lead in it!
Airgun pellets, ball, bullets and ingots!
Underneath was lead shot. From #7&1/2 to #6 in size.
Only wanted £20 so I grabbed it.
Check the photo.
View attachment 19307
I sifted the shot with a small collider easy enough. Sorting the .177, .22 &.25 air gun pellets is a royal pain in the.....

The balls are .57. No idea what to do with them lol.
View attachment 19308

Now when it comes to digesting out the norm old Bessie has this reputation of being obscene! Now I feel an experiment coming on with a small hand full of airgun pellets! What could possibly go wrong :cool:
Nice haul! See lots of testing and shooting in your very near future....

They probably would if the pressures and velocity were what they were designed for. Thats probably not too feasible to be shooting them from a bpr.

A lot of my lead comes from the airgun pellet catchers in our indoor range. With eight of them in in constant use, I'm never kept short of a source of very high-grade soft lead. Haendler & Natterman and RWS use nothing but the best quality raw material in their pellets.

Would the airgun pellets have a tendency to right themselves as the shuttlecock do?

No, not really,
I takes time and air flow to stabilize a projectile, if it ever stabilizes ( unstable objects tend to stay that way unless acted upon by another force). There simply isn't enough time between the muzzle and the target to stabilize.

Additionally, there is one major difference between pellet gun pellets and a shuttlecock. The feathers or conical portion of a shuttlecock are larger than the nose, this is how it stabilizes. On a pellet gun pellet or lyman sabot slug the nose and tail are the same diameter. So there is no way for air to stabilize it because the tail is always in the burble created by the nose.

If you have ever shot "swan shot" AKA drop shop or Rupert's shot you'll know they don't stabilize either and it doesn't really matter. it still kills.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine the air-gun pellets doing anything other than scattering wildly. Tiny bit of weight v. relatively large surface area, un-aerodynamically launched as "shot".

I cannot imagine the air-gun pellets doing anything other than scattering wildly. Tiny bit of weight v. relatively large surface area, un-aerodynamically launched as "shot".
Only want thirty yards or less. I will do some testing. I'm sure two ounce will get something done.

I'm sure two ounce will get something done.
Probably obliterate what ever you shoot at. If you're going after rabbits, try down loading it, both powder and shot. One pellet is all it takes to kill a rabbit, especially 25 cal.

Use the tin can test.

Out of curiosity, I googled a conversion and 20 pounds is about 25.82 US, a good buy. I believe the pellets will fly like shot, maybe like a slight spreader pattern, fine for a 30yard bunny shot. Keep yer powder dry...….robin

By volume the pellets will take up more room to get 2 oz. of shot than rould pellets would, so be mindful of that when you are setting your measure. If you had a modern gun shotgun cartridge hull that would be an issue. Not so with a ML'er.

Back