• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good Inexpensive entry level rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholas542

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys in into the precussion cap rifles/pistols, but am looking at getting flintlock in the future. What are good entry level rifles that are fairly in-expensive, but not cheaply crafted. :idunno:

I was in the same boat a few months ago. Based on what I've read, I'm sure opinions will widely vary!

I ended up purchasing a Cabelas (Invest Arms) Hawkens in .50 cal.

I have found it to be a great beginners rifle. There were only a couple of "problems":

The touch-hole is set back in the pan a bit, and the hole in the touch hole liner is too small.

I experienced a few "flashes in the pan" and replaced with a RMC touchole liner (that takes a hex key). T.http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/84

The invest arms is compatible with Lyman parts (i.e. the thread for the touch hole). Anway, I have been *very* happy with this gun at about $520 (with the touch hole liner replacement and a package of flints to replace the agates). I have had great success with .018 patches and my own cast .490 balls and .50 cal Lee REAL conicals that I've cast.

I know that some will have issues with the historically incorrect nature of this firearm, but for me it has been a fantastic learner that I'll be able to drag through the woods with me for some white tail this fall.

Bob

It is very hard to beat a Lyman GPR rifle in flint form, they work, they last, they look good, they shoot real good, and they hold their value.
Also there are a fair number available used.
And they come right and left handed.
Old Ford

I have been shooting black since the 70's and have been blessed with the opportunity to own some very high quality firearms. I have heard for years about how good the Lyman GPR is and have to say they look good. I always figured they were to cheap to be any good. Recently I bought one for fun. I also liked being able to by a left handed flinter. I am amazed how accurate it is! It is one fine rifle. I have guns that cost a lot more money that do not shoot as good. I am very happy with it and it is going to get used alot.

You would not go wrong buying one. I think it will last you a lifetime!

Terry in Oregon

I too would go with the Lyman Great Plains. Good quality for the price and they do hold value well. There are also replacement triggers and locks should you elect to do so in the future. Not really needed, but a good thing to be able to do should you decide you either want or need to in the future.

F Thomas said:
I too would go with the Lyman Great Plains. Good quality for the price and they do hold value well. There are also replacement triggers and locks should you elect to do so in the future. Not really needed, but a good thing to be able to do should you decide you either want or need to in the future.

You are exactly right. You have great flexibility with the GPR that the Deerstalker doesn't have. The advantage of the Deerstalker were two fold for me: easy to carry and it was the only lefty in the store at the time. :rotf: :rotf: :shake: :grin:

I use a traditions shenandoah rifle and it fires alright. It is well built for anyone portraying someone using a flintlock between 1815 and 1840. I would like to get a really well built rifle that I can use for the rest of my life but for now this rifle does fine.

What time period are you interested in. Cabala's blue ridge rifles seem to work great, but who ever decided to make guns with that hard to clean patented breach out to be kicked in the testicels until dead.

50cal-shooter said:
Hey guys in into the precussion cap rifles/pistols, but am looking at getting flintlock in the future. What are good entry level rifles that are fairly in-expensive, but not cheaply crafted. :idunno:

Those are two pretty broad areas that you are mentioning. What price range are you looking at? What style of rifle? The lyman everyone mentions are pretty well built as are the Cabela's blue ridge rifles (very barrel heavy though) but the price on new ones have really gone up. Figure out the style that you want and keep watching the trade boards. A lot of good deals out there with the economy being what it is.

I'll put another recommendation in for a GPR as it was my first BP rifle. It's great fun to shoot and I don't think you'd have any regrets if you went with it.

I stand well behind Lyman for build quality versus dollar. You can pick 50 or 54 cal, and adjust for budgets with the Deerstalker for around $350 or Great Plains rifle for around $500. I was under the impression that the Trade Rifle was also available in flint, but darned if I can find it.

The Deerstalker is shorter and lighter, but pretty "generic" in style. The GPR is pretty close to a plains rifle by all accounts, so that might appeal more.

We've got several, and without question the Deerstalker is my wife's favorite muzzleloader. As well as it shoots for her, there's little question why.

If you are tool handy at all, consider a kit. The price is on a par with a new Lyman. The components used are top class and the finished product more authentic looking plus the pride of finishing it yourself. Plenty of choice of style and calibre too.

I'm in the process of purchasing one at the moment from Sitting Fox and they start at about $350. I have been shooting a Lyman also and can't fault it. Just a thought.

I am not sure what "inexpensive" is (it seems to vary to almost everyone) but I would start with looking thru the classified for a used gun of good reputation, they can often be found in the 600-700 dollar range which to me is a far better deal than any import gun.Most of the imports have become priced way above their value IMHO, also, not to cast stones, but anyone offering opinions about the quaility of an "inexpensive" flintlock really should have the benifit of having used a top quality gun for comparitive reasons else the opinions may lack sufficient background, kinda like a person who says a Big Mack is the best meat there is in the world and then is given a piece of prime rib for the first time, again no flame, just some perspective.

"Good" and "Inexpensive" rarely go together, and even more rarely when one is asking about flintlocks....

Buy the best you can afford, 'cause a cheap flinter can make a man go mad....

i concur.

if you paid a great deal for it, this doesn't mean that it's a high quality item and, by the same token, buying some thing without a humongous price tag doesn't necessarily mean it's badly made.

i have always been a fan of Thompson Center, based on their reputation and demonstrated guarantee: no quibble, no question, send it in and they replace it by return mail. i'm given to understand that they've changed hands, so i don't know if the guarantee will still be as good.

for this reason, i'd go with a used Lyman GPR, in .54 if you can get it.

You may also want to consider buying Dutch Schoultz' monograph on muzzleloading accuracy
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

this was a great help to me and i recommend it to your use.

good luck, and if you ever have any questions, you're in the right place!

make good smoke!

p.s. - there's a Lyman GPR in 50 cal on the auction page of the forum... just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back