• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good idea... or bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I am new to flintlocks but haven’t been this excited about a new hobby (/way of life) in a long time.

Lifelong firearms and hunting enthusiast. Just turned 50. Spent many thousands of dollars on “conventional” guns and hunting over the years. Sometimes several thousand and a few times several tens of thousands of dollars at once. No longer in that financial position, though.

So my question is:
Should I keep a log of how much I spend on Flintlock guns and hunting from now, the beginning?

I sometimes wish I had kept track of all the money I spent on the aforementioned.

It’s certainly not a bragging rights thing. Just wondering if it might be interesting some day.

Open to all opinions.

Thanks,

Only you can answer that question. How anal are you? Do you do a budget?

I dont lean that way, I also have never done a personal budget. I had a friend that kept almost every receipt in a 3 ring binder for most any purchases. It made him happy, so his choice.

If I knew what I spent in a year to play it would not change what I spent.

Fleener

If you keep a list of what you spent, What happens when the wife finds it?

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I shall die before I wake, Please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her I paid!

Reasonable response, but no worries there.
I have a very understanding wife that I take pretty good care of.
Besides she already knows about all the aforementioned stuff, so this new addiction will probably pale in comparison.
Thanks,
SFH

Only you can answer that question. How anal are you? Do you do a budget?

I dont lean that way, I also have never done a personal budget. I had a friend that kept almost every receipt in a 3 ring binder for most any purchases. It made him happy, so his choice.

If I knew what I spent in a year to play it would not change what I spent.

Fleener
Not that anal about money.
Never been that worried about budgeting.

Certainly don’t plan to go “Full Rain Man” on keeping track of expenditures.

I agree that keeping track would not change what I spend. If I have it and can spend it on what I want... I spend it and don’t look back.

Thanks,
SFH

Actually I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here. Always tell your wife exactly how much you spent on your firearms. I have been party to far too many situations where the husband has died and the wife has absolutely no clue as to the value of his firearms. In these situations without very honest and trustworthy people who are knowledgeable in that field of firearms that have no financial interest in the situation and who are able to advise the Widow on values, it is very easy for the wife to be taken to the financial cleaners. To most women a gun is a gun. The firearms in question may in fact just be cheap junk, but sometimes that cheap junk turns out to be very valuable. You would not want your Widow to unknowingly turn $20,000 into a $5,000 fire sale now would you? This is actually more common then you might think. So I think you should go ahead and keep track on paper what the firearms end up costing you. Might save your Widow and heirs a bit of trouble when you are gone.

I’ve got a ‘not to be opened unless there is an emergency’ file. It lists family guns and collectibles and who gets what. Everything else has a value with a date and how the value was set, along with suggestions of how sell.

Just did a appraisal for a friend’s widow who didn’t have a will or a list we could find with information on his gun collection. Quite the PIA dealing with probate court, lawyers and crazy family members. You don’t need a detailed list of every expense, but a comprehensive list of major assets with values is a good idea to protect your estate.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all the guns I have, when acquired, and what I paid for them. Also the serial numbers. I have photographs of all of them in separate electronic files. It's not hard to do if you just acquire guns and only occasionally sell them. If you're more active in buying and selling then it gets longer. It's sort of like a stock broker's tradings blotter. I periodically update it with what I think are current values (according to the auction sites). I also keep a running inventory (on a different page of the spread sheet) of my ammunition supplies, reloading dies etc for each caliber. I don't list what I've paid for that stuff, because it would be too complicated, changes too often, and too much work to do all the addition and subtraction. I'm OCD about having buckets full of empty brass laying around (I'm compulsive about picking it up when I can find it) as well as components to load it, so I periodically go on a bender and reload for a month. When I found out I had 9000 rounds of loaded 30-`06 and at best shoot 60 rounds a year, that told me I had to STOP reloading it despite the temptation to do so.

It's a "for me to know" sort of thing, but I've also told her that it exists. I've told my brother too (but he hasn't seen it), so he could help her with it in the event of my passing. It's purely a personal thing.

But the general premise is that if that sort of thing is 1%-5% of your total estate value, $25,000 total value, or less than 30 guns it's not a big deal. If it's greater than 10% of the estate, $50,000 in value, or more than 50 guns, that's getting in to the realm of where heirs can really squabble and destroy their relationship, particularly if one is in to that sort of thing and the other is not. The above numbers are totally arbitrary. You have to decide where the line is.

I'm going through that very situation right now concerning the administration. of my father-in-law's estate (former police chief). In his case there were only a couple of guns, but his big passion was collecting stamps---45 albums full of them, (not just U.S., but many foreign collections) and he inherited his father's, and grandfather's collection that was started in the 19th century. I'm not particularly in to stamps, but find them interesting. My wife wants to preserve the collection intact as a family legacy item. It would be close to impossible to do a detailed inventory and appraisal of what is probably 300,000 individual stamps. The entire collection would probably appraise at $10,000-$13,000. Unfortunately, he did not leave instructions in his estate directives as to how to deal with it. My wife well understands there are huge bid-ask spreads in that sort of thing, and they (generally) trade at severe discounts to the Scott Catalog value. Unfortunately her sibling is someone that doesn't understand that concept. He doesn't want the stamps. Only money. He just looks at the catalog and wants to be paid that much as a compensatory distributional offset. (He doesn't even understand that concept that it would be proportionally ratable.)

So write it down, and leave instructions. Keep the file hidden if you want, but leave instructions on where to find it. Just the stuff you have. If you want to keep a book on what you've spent, that's up to you. It can't hurt, and may provide you a form of discipline if you need some form of self-restraint from time to time---and we all do. It's pretty easy when money is ample to justify a purchase by saying ; "it's only XXX dollars".

Last edited:
When I was salmon fishing a lot, the wife once asked how much $/#. After figuring in licenses, tags, gas, bait launch fees, tackle and the like I told her I had no idea and never did that again.

wm

At about 50 years old I went through a similar thought process, re-evaluating my practices that had taken place over the prior few decades. They don’t seem not much different from yours....but I did make a change in my practices at that time. I couldn’t say that I had major regrets, or would even trade the purchases or hunts, etc.....To the contrary, it was fun, and many of the experiences were priceless. On the other hand, it was apparent that my focus had been on “quantity”, which, I felt was leading to burnout/boredom,......A decreasing response to a constant, or increasing stimulus. One of the trappings of youth. The shift in thought process was subtle, but IMO very effective. A shift was made emphasizing “quality” and far more thought applied, whether in terms of firearm, hunt, skill development, or any other associated activity. Now, decades later, IMO, all aspects of the sport have been far more rewarding. There has been fewer, but far superior purchases, hunts, shooting excursions, and as a bonus, continued improvement in shooting and hunting skill levels. Expenditures have been much more prudent. The cost of a dozen impulsive purchases made in my prior years, turned into “one” that will be valued for a lifetime.....usually for far less $$$. There has been no loosing track of purchases or activities, and they all remain vivid to memory. Most importantly, as opposed to burnout, interest has increased over time. Maybe it’s all simply the wisdom that comes with age. Perhaps I’m wrong because each of us are so different, but I can’t help sense some similarity to my own experiences from your statements and questions in your post.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
.... Always tell your wife exactly how much you spent on your firearms. I have been party to far too many situations where the husband has died and the wife has absolutely no clue as to the value of his firearms.
I have been around a while with friends (and myself) growing older. Some times but true your so called friend (buddy) will take advantage of your spouce if the time arises. You made the mistake of telling her one value and the truth is it was double or triple that figure. She believes what she was told and sells the item for that figure.

I don’t keep track of what I spend on my acroutments, lead, bags per say. However I do remember what I paid for stuff and when or if I sell it, trade it or simply give it away I know how much I’ve lost/gained. Now rifles and Fowler’s and modern suppository I keep a list. Wife knows exactly where that list is and I discuss how much each and every one of those firearms are worth in trade or cash. I also have a will made out and wife knows who gets what and so forth. My belief is that my wife is my partner not my advisary... 👍🏻

Not a bad idea at all. I kept every receipt/paper related to the muzzleloaders I have. But when we moved they got tossed without my knowledge. No big deal as I can research the current likely prices with little problem.

So, I am new to flintlocks but haven’t been this excited about a new hobby (/way of life) in a long time.

Lifelong firearms and hunting enthusiast. Just turned 50. Spent many thousands of dollars on “conventional” guns and hunting over the years. Sometimes several thousand and a few times several tens of thousands of dollars at once. No longer in that financial position, though.

So my question is:
Should I keep a log of how much I spend on Flintlock guns and hunting from now, the beginning?

I sometimes wish I had kept track of all the money I spent on the aforementioned.

It’s certainly not a bragging rights thing. Just wondering if it might be interesting some day.

Open to all opinions.

Thanks,
I spend a fraction of what most of my peers spend on rifle building, hunting trips etc. Those two things cost relatively little compared to the boats, motors, snow machines , airplanes , campers, motor homes , air boats etc that most of them accrue over time. A huge expense for me was this last TOTW .45 cal SMR kit build that was nearly a 1000.00 dollars and a lot of work. Actually I'm thinking of doing it again in maybe a .32 or .36 cal Pee rifle.

I keep records all weapons I own, rounds fired , price paid and updated yearly, serial no. types of ammunition. All
kept on a spread sheet with pictures in a note book that the Sgt Maj and son and daughter knows where it is and
what the disposition of weapons are to be. Maybe I'm going over board but I've spent too many years accounting
for weapons. I also have a large collection of bayonets from around the world. I don't want my wife to get taken
advantage of when I'm gone
gunnyr

Back