• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Flash Cups?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyghost'r

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'v heard from a couple guys that are using Cabela's generics that they'r still getting peppered pretty good with bits and pieces. Are the Ted Cash models or any others better? I wear glasses while practicing and load testing but I would like to be reasonably certain I'm not gonna get an eyeful while hunting.

Flash cups are not always the problem and often only half the solution. I am assuming everyone knows the high side of the cup goes to the rear as a barrier, but it also needs to be so high that the hammer barely clears in the down position. You need as short a nipple as you can use and the hammer recess needs to be so deep as to cover, at the very least, the cap. A tad more is better. The hammer nose inverted V opening needs to be on the generous side to allow particles to be blown forward with minimal impedement and the forward side of the cup needs to be low enough to allow the particles to clear without ricocheting back. The inverted V also needs to begin at the inner hammer face. Your mainspring needs to be strong enough to not allow the hammer to be blown upwards when you fire. Too large of a hole in the nipple can also cause the hammer to lift up on firing. Most factory produced percussion hammers do not meet the criteria I have described and need to be modified to do so. You can do this yourself with files and a Dremel type tool. You want to be sure that the inner hammer face strikes the nipple squarely for reliable ignition, so if you do this go slow and careful.

Back