• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good enough?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudall

40 Cal
Reaction score
I tried shooting my Pedersoli Le Page .36 percussion cap pistol off a rest at the weekend, just to see how my load/ball/patch combination was doing. I used a .350 ball with 12 gr Swiss #2 and a .012 patch.
Is this about as good as one could expect? The group is about 2 inches.
My one-handed shooting is NOT like this!

IMAG0110.jpg

It sometimes helps to get a second opinion. If you know any medal winning pistol shooters, let them shoot your pistol. Then you will know if it’s the gun or you. I do this once in a while.

Sorry! 25 yards.
At 25 yards, pretty good. Still room for improvement, though not much. Continue to work on load development, but you are close. Have you been able to repeat this group size and POI during multiple shooting sessions? Great thing is you can have confidence in your gun and your load. No excuses when you don’t shoot well going forward.

Thanks all for the encouraging replies. I’ve only done pistol shooting for a while and this is the only powder charge I have tried. Next time out I’ll try a little less and a little more powder and see if that changes things.

I tried shooting my Pedersoli Le Page .36 percussion cap pistol off a rest at the weekend, just to see how my load/ball/patch combination was doing. I used a .350 ball with 12 gr Swiss #2 and a .012 patch.
Is this about as good as one could expect? The group is about 2 inches.
My one-handed shooting is NOT like this!

View attachment 43850
now that is sure BRAGGIN RIGHTS!!

Congratulations! That is an excellent beginning and you should be pleased, especially for a first effort. Like others here suggested, play with the powder charges to see if it makes a difference. Working up a load for a particular gun is part of the fun.

Jeff

Congratulations! That is an excellent beginning and you should be pleased, especially for a first effort. Like others here suggested, play with the powder charges to see if it makes a difference. Working up a load for a particular gun is part of the fun.

Jeff
I totally agree with that,
Seems like when I get a new gun I spend a lot of time working up the best load (powder, patch, lube all considered)
After I have wrung everything out of it and am really happy with the results, I have a tendency to not shoot that one very much anymore.
I proceed to the next basket case and start working with that one more.
Human Nature??? Maybe, but just my way of relaxing while staying busy enjoying retirement.

Thanks again all.

I’m in the UK, so no. I may get around to joining the MLAGB at some point. There are also ML matches at Bisley now and then, I believe.

Just measured the Euro popular 25 meter target 10 ring... 1.8 inch. I expect 1in. to 1.5in. 25 yds and 2-2.5 in. at 50 yds...depending on conditions. Light, wind, good steady bench, sandbags and calm mind help. Worth it if you need to win some matches...c

Back