• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good deal on fiber cushion wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaho PRB said:
I bought some of these Cabela's wads I thought it was a good deal.
Have you...or if not would you...check their diameter with a dial caliper or a mic?
The text staes they can be used when reloading .12ga shotgun shells...and I don't know if that automatically means they'll tightly seal a .62cal/.20ga bore...if they mic at least .620" to 640" I'll buy a bag for sure.
Thanks

I hope they are actually wool felt. I bought some 20ga use-inside-your-10/12ga shotcup felt wads to use under flat-base conicals in my .577 and the #^^%@! things are synthetic! They melt ... nicely. May I suggest the traditional flame test for differentiating natural from synthetic materials before you have to scrub your bore.

Good luck,
Joel

Good point...had not even thought about that...and I'll bet lunch they're synthetic, not wool...hard to beat good ole Oxyoke prelubed wool wads

Sorry I didn't get back to the questions. I will answer all questions when I get the wads. Worse case scenario, I'm out 10 bucks. I guess we'll see.

Joel/Calgary said:
I hope they are actually wool felt. I bought some 20ga use-inside-your-10/12ga shotcup felt wads to use under flat-base conicals in my .577 and the #^^%@! things are synthetic! They melt ... nicely. May I suggest the traditional flame test for differentiating natural from synthetic materials before you have to scrub your bore.

Good luck,
Joel
Thank You for the heads up :hatsoff:

Well,I finally got the wool felt 20 gauge wads today. I subjected one to the flame test and they melt like a piece of nylon rope :( . So it was a good thought and now I'm out 10.00. I guess I will return them next time I'm in Boise. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Idaho PRB said:
Well,I finally got the wool felt 20 gauge wads today. I subjected one to the flame test and they melt like a piece of nylon rope :( . So it was a good thought and now I'm out 10.00. I guess I will return them next time I'm in Boise. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
Thanks for running the test.

I don't think the Cabelas AD doesn't actually say "wool"...but it does definitely say "felt"...and felt is not plastic.

I'd save / print off a copy of the AD in case they get wind of the problem and change or pull the AD...have it with you when you return them...take the melted wad too.

I sent this letter to Ballistic Products in regard to this issue and received the following response:
Hello,

I am writing in reference to Item Number: 1221420, your 1/4" wool felt wads. I purchased several bags of 250 each, intending to use them in my 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock muzzleloader. I subjected them to a "flame test" and found that they actually melt like a nylon rope. This of course is unacceptable for use against the barrel wall, in direct contact with the powder charge. I know that you dont specify that these be used in a muzzleloader but if they were in fact "wool felt" they shouldnt melt, only char. I have run the same test on the Oxyoke "wonder wads" that are wool felt and they only char, not melt. Can you tell me if you offer a product I might use? If not, you may want to check the composition of the wads and modify it's description on the packaging. Thank you for your time.

Ballistic Products reply;
C is checking further into the "wool" felts as the material is supposed to be compressed wool... Your flame test indicates a snake in the grass... C

In a message dated 3/23/2009 9:52:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Next time, take an old Basque shepherd with you, that way you can check before you leave the store :grin:

Back