Good days work

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by tenngun, Jan 18, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2019 #21

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

Comfortably_Numb

40 Cal

You need to put the bend In the tang closer to the breech. Is that wood pretty soft? Looks like it from here.

2. Feb 3, 2019 #22

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Feels as hard as other maple I’ve worked.i sharpen the chisel about every hour in use. Your right tang profile is close to my planes but I find it easier to bend a little at a time so as not to go too far.

3. Feb 13, 2019 #23

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

One month today, 55 1/2 hours todate. Brass polished, barrel inlet, breach and tang inlet, lock inlet, butt inlet, started entry pipe.

4. Mar 1, 2019 #24

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I’m at 70 hours, about a summer time weeks work, a month and a half s a hobby. Lock in, trigger plate and trigger, pinned, butt plate on, ramrod pipes all in. About 1/2 done at this point.
    Took my plans and made some copies. Cut out the sections that show a crosssection. Like most folks I have a tough time taking the wood down to where it’s supposed to be, but already close.
    Toe plate, trigger guard, side plate, nosecap and patch box yet to go
    One should enjoy the build, and take your time, but even going slow it’s finished way too soon.... and not soon enough

B02AC34E-CB93-4B23-A66E-046E39C6C9B3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  5. Mar 13, 2019 #25

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Been two months today since I started, 89 1/2 hours todate. All inletting done except patch box that I just laid out today, figured I would have 5-10 hr on that. Then it final wood shaping sand and smooth.

Cruzatte likes this.
  6. Mar 16, 2019 #26

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

36 Cl.

I build for the enjoyment. I couldn't care less how long it takes me, or what the final cost is. Keeping a journal or other such endeavor offers me no benefits. I work on builds when time permits, and if I've got no other pressing matters waiting. It gets done when it gets done, and that's how I like it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    tenngun likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2019 #27

bptactical

bptactical

bptactical

Pilgrim

Two things I learned to never do when I have worked on something as a "Hobby" be it a firearm, car, motorcycle-whatever.
    1- keep track of my time.
    2- keep track of my expenses.

It always takes the enjoyment out of it when I realize how much time and how much money I put into something I did for fun.....

Robby and Goose like this.
  8. Mar 16, 2019 #28

Chowmif16

Chowmif16

Chowmif16

40 Cal.

I build because I enjoy the journey, the link to the past, and I learn from it. I am not at the point yet where I think I can charge for my work because it doesn't yet meet my perceived standards for "professional" work. However, I have built a gun for a friend simply for the price of the kit/parts. I have another request to build a gun for the price of the parts, plus he will build me a rifle building bench. Fair trade I think.
    At some point, I will build a gun for a price that is greater than the parts.
    That being said, no one would ever pay my real job's hourly rate for me to build a gun, and thus I will never be a full time gun maker. that's okay.
    It's a hobby, and if someone is going to pay me for parts and maybe a little bit more, then it sure beats paying to play golf! Plus, I hate golf anyway.

Norm

Robby and Ames like this.
  9. Mar 16, 2019 #29

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I don’t want to give the wrong impression here. I build for fun not for profit. Keeping track of time was also for fun. I have a log on building a ship model that was about four hundred hours. I’ve kept time records of sewing. It takes about thirty hours to make a weskit or breaches. Moccs about three hours. A plain great coat about fifteen hours.
    Some time after the build I can reread the log. It’s like looking at photos of a camp or a trek, just a neat way to relive the work.

Brokennock and Rocklocks Only like this.
  10. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:54 PM #30

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I agree with you on the journal. It's great for reliving an experience, and a place to put notes on things to do differently next time.
    However, this online journal of this build needs some update photos so we can see the progress being made.

11. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:42 PM #31

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

12. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:44 PM #32

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thank you. For someone who doesn't build, the description of your progress makes more sense with pictures.