• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good days work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feels as hard as other maple I’ve worked.i sharpen the chisel about every hour in use. Your right tang profile is close to my planes but I find it easier to bend a little at a time so as not to go too far.

I’m at 70 hours, about a summer time weeks work, a month and a half s a hobby. Lock in, trigger plate and trigger, pinned, butt plate on, ramrod pipes all in. About 1/2 done at this point.
Took my plans and made some copies. Cut out the sections that show a crosssection. Like most folks I have a tough time taking the wood down to where it’s supposed to be, but already close.
Toe plate, trigger guard, side plate, nosecap and patch box yet to go
One should enjoy the build, and take your time, but even going slow it’s finished way too soon.... and not soon enough

B02AC34E-CB93-4B23-A66E-046E39C6C9B3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been two months today since I started, 89 1/2 hours todate. All inletting done except patch box that I just laid out today, figured I would have 5-10 hr on that. Then it final wood shaping sand and smooth.

I build for the enjoyment. I couldn't care less how long it takes me, or what the final cost is. Keeping a journal or other such endeavor offers me no benefits. I work on builds when time permits, and if I've got no other pressing matters waiting. It gets done when it gets done, and that's how I like it.

Last edited:
Two things I learned to never do when I have worked on something as a "Hobby" be it a firearm, car, motorcycle-whatever.
1- keep track of my time.
2- keep track of my expenses.

It always takes the enjoyment out of it when I realize how much time and how much money I put into something I did for fun.....

I build because I enjoy the journey, the link to the past, and I learn from it. I am not at the point yet where I think I can charge for my work because it doesn't yet meet my perceived standards for "professional" work. However, I have built a gun for a friend simply for the price of the kit/parts. I have another request to build a gun for the price of the parts, plus he will build me a rifle building bench. Fair trade I think.
At some point, I will build a gun for a price that is greater than the parts.
That being said, no one would ever pay my real job's hourly rate for me to build a gun, and thus I will never be a full time gun maker. that's okay.
It's a hobby, and if someone is going to pay me for parts and maybe a little bit more, then it sure beats paying to play golf! Plus, I hate golf anyway.

Norm

I don’t want to give the wrong impression here. I build for fun not for profit. Keeping track of time was also for fun. I have a log on building a ship model that was about four hundred hours. I’ve kept time records of sewing. It takes about thirty hours to make a weskit or breaches. Moccs about three hours. A plain great coat about fifteen hours.
Some time after the build I can reread the log. It’s like looking at photos of a camp or a trek, just a neat way to relive the work.

I don’t want to give the wrong impression here. I build for fun not for profit. Keeping track of time was also for fun. I have a log on building a ship model that was about four hundred hours. I’ve kept time records of sewing. It takes about thirty hours to make a weskit or breaches. Moccs about three hours. A plain great coat about fifteen hours.
Some time after the build I can reread the log. It’s like looking at photos of a camp or a trek, just a neat way to relive the work.
I agree with you on the journal. It's great for reliving an experience, and a place to put notes on things to do differently next time.
However, this online journal of this build needs some update photos so we can see the progress being made.

I didn’t think I was rushing, been two and a half months and 100+ hours, another forty to fifty hours to to prep the stock for finish. A hundred and fifty hours I spect. Almost a months worth at forty hour weeks. I Would think that about average for a precarved stock without carving.

Not quite average, I can get to where you are in under 30 hours. But, you're doing it for the pleasure of the experience and I'm doing it to pay my bills. I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting that gun when it finally gets done.

9BAF5987-CE84-4DB3-99CD-EF02DAC19017.jpeg
4EDA23BC-6276-40ED-9DD1-0559CF716C0C.jpeg
5509A1CA-35CD-4BD4-9A7C-4F189918C276.jpeg
Shout out to Bill Raby and Dualist 1954 I’ve always had trouble with cheek plates leaned some good ideas and got mine today worked out today. Some final dressing but now pretty happy with it,

Don’t you just hate work!
Sanded to a point I can start whiskering the stock. In fact just did one whiskering today. Maybe take three more, maybe five.
But....
after my first pass I had to pick up my stuff and clean up so as to get ready for work. Be Friday afore a can work on it again.
I got a good job, personally satisfying, great conditions to work in and I’m treated well.
But.... sometimes I just hate work.

Yup. I'm reading your post while sitting at my desk in CCU, looking at a 3d image of one of the biggest triple A I've seen, in the middle of an 8 day stretch.

And no, I'm not "playing cards."

Back