• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good day shooting GPR .54 percussion at Aurora, TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmills

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was the monthly meeting of the Aurora Blackpowder Club, Aurora, TX. I was there as a guest of a member and I am working towards becoming a member. At each monthly meeting, a member is assigned to create a shooting match. Today's match was interesting because we had a high wind low temperature (41 degrees)overcast day. The match was shot offhand, at short distances, 7 shots--(1) at a poker card edge held in place by a clothes pin, (2) at a spaghetti pasta noodle, suspended vertically, but free to move(3) at a drinking straw held horizontally, (4) at a feather standing up, but free to spin(5) at a poker chip suspended from above but free to turn in the breeze, (6, and my favorite, at the blade of an axe with blade facing the shooter, with a clay pigeon on each side of the blade, with the goal being to split your round ball on the axe blade and shatter both clays, and (7) a 3x5" inch card with an x marking the middle as the final "tie-breaker" shot.

I have been changing out sights and trying to work up a good load for my GPR .54 percussion and discovered when I shot the clothes pin holding the poker card instead of the card that I was shooting low. Then the high wind made me completely miss the spaghetti (although it seemed to not affect a number of other shooters). I scored a glancing blow on a feather, shot low again on the drinking straw, and "maybe" glanced off the poker chip.

Then for the axe. The owner of the axe, the club president, and the organizer of this shoot (all one person) was there as I was shooting. He commented before I shot that he was glad no one had hit the pipe he had placed over his axe handle to protect it and I might have said "not yet," in jest. I was more than relieved when my ball split on the axe and blasted both clay pigeons. I regret there was no video of this.

I shot well on the 3x5 tie splitter card, but my score was so low in the overall ranking that any tie was insignificant.

Altogether a good day and met some fine folks.

I didn't measure and not all were at the same. Maybe about 5 to 8 yards. With the wind and my trifocals and the small size of the targets, seemed plenty far.

that's what's so enjoyable and fun about black powder matches, the crazy targets!

Hey, you had fun and that's whats missing from a lot of this sport these days! :thumbsup:

Back