• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good day casting yesterday!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been ladle casting RB's, conicals, and CF pistol and rifle bullets for ~50 years with few difficulties. However, yesterday (Oct. 3), I cast a bunch of .550" RB's from a Lyman mould* and got the smallest weight variation ever from that mould. I paid particular attention to the temperature of the melt and the size of the sprue puddle and got very few rejects (wrinkles, lighter weight). Those that were too light were no more than .5 grains (out of an arithmetic mean of 255.1 grains). The lightweights will be used for fouling shots.

*The little used mould, which I picked up for a pittance, is for the .56cal. Renegade Smoothbore. It needed a tiny bit of TLC when I got it, but it casts great now.

A .550 mold is a great find!!!!!

I have one Lyman mold I got from my father in law when he passed away.
They are a great mold, my experience mirrors yours, very few rejects and casts good balls right from the start.

Back