• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good day at the range with a new Caywood French Type "C"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I had the opportunity to obtain one of Danny Caywood's French Type "C" smooth bores and was finally able to get it to the range, along with my little TVM Fowler.

ndH5Kehl.jpg

The Caywood has a 42" jug choked barrel, and the TVM a 36". Thank you to everyone on this site. I have been reading all I can about shooting smooth bores, and it has helped trememdously.

EYPCp7Ul.jpg

Kjmt7F1l.jpg

Well, I decided to first try my hand with a .60cal ball. Loaded 80gr 3f Goex, a half inch fiber wad with Mr Shultz dry lube, a chewed 60 cal ball, and an overshot card. This was my first shot from this gun at 40yds.

5NcMVxUl.jpg

WOW!!! That must have been an accident! So I continued;

D1d0ZQXl.jpg

That was my first 5 shots. And yes, I pulled the fifth! Got so excited that I messed up a great group. Well, I have myself a new meat stick. Going to stretch out to 75 next time and see what she will do!!

Doc

Wow, that is really good accuracy for 40 yards. That means both the gun and you can shoot well. (I don't count the one you threw out of the group, as everyone does that occasionally.)

I really like the overall look of the gun and those fire blued heads of the side lock screws are extremely nice.

Gus

Good shooting but it dont suprise me. I have 2 barrels that Danny has jug choked an both shoot ball well. The one with the back sight I can shoot a bit better but that aint got nothing to do with the choke. Both yours are good looking guns by the way :thumbsup:

How effective are the jug chokes at getting something like a modern pattern with modern shot shells?

Not very. Range decreased compared to modern choked. You can increase shot load, you can make a cartridge out of rolled paper and that will hold it together a little longer. At last resort a cardboard tube can buy you some range.

Col. Batguano said:
How effective are the jug chokes at getting something like a modern pattern with modern shot shells?
My 12 ga that I use for turkey hunting will produce a killing pattern out to 40 yrds shooting a load of #4s. I do have a pic of it an will try an find later this eve after work. Its on photo bucket so I doubt it will load but i will try

wattlebuster said:
Col. Batguano said:
My 12 ga that I use for turkey hunting will produce a killing pattern out to 40 yrds shooting a load of #4s. I do have a pic of it an will try an find later this eve after work. Its on photo bucket so I doubt it will load but i will try
Well I tried to download a pic of the patterns but just as I figured photobucket wont let me copy so I can paste. Sorry :idunno:

Good looking guns and group. I would have a hard time even seeing that dot to aim at at 40 yards! Greg :)

Wonderful! I've owned my Caywood Type C for over a decade, and have never regretted the purchase for even a second. Mine is brass mounted with straight bore, and also shoots both shot and ball quite well. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back