• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good BP Revolver Snake Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as to the ethics of killin snakes sometimes it is necesary, when it is do it right! as to shot in a bp gun i used to live in the desert and i carried a colt 1862 from traditions. i would load the first three chambers with half a charge of 3f (about 15 gr) then press the rammer through a beer box fill the chamber with #7 shot then ram another piece of cardboard over it, i never needed to shoot a snake so don't know how well it worked but i never had a charge fall out of the barrel. as for a short rammer, use a short piece of pipe over the lever for a cheater pipe. but check and make sure the modification is legal. good hunting

I second that shooting the head off. I'd be very wary of picking up a "dead" snake that that only been hit with shot. It probably is dead but as others have pointed out- big medical bills, etc if it still has any life in it. That big coral I shot, I did hit it but the head looked like it was still on it. The coral had flipped upside down when I shot it and it didn't move. In any event, it didn't look right so I decided to go get a big stick and do it up right. That "dead" snake must have been watching me because I turned around and walked away and was about 10' off when it flipped right side up and started crawling off. I wanted the snake so I forgot the big stick, ran back, and made sure the second time I shot the head off. Snakes can still wiggle around even after the head is off, whether they could still bite after being dead (with the head on), seems impossible but I don't know for sure.

"whether they could still bite after being dead (with the head on), seems impossible but I don't know for sure."

Indeed they can.

Back