• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good BP Revolver Snake Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nephi

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I´m living overseas right now but when I get back to the states in a few months I´m thinking that I want to pick up a BP revolver and turn it into a snubby for shooting snakes when I go walking. What would be good for that and does anyone have any good snake loads? I´m totally new to BP, by the way. Thank you.

I don't think loading shot into a percussion revolver is going to work very well. I live in snake heaven but I usually just walk around them. Even if a mocassin or diamondback coils up- just walk around them. In all the years of sitting on the ground turkey hunting I've never had a snake crawl up to me, although I suppose it's possible. They eat a lot of rats and vermin. If I'm running around in the pich black of night I wear snake boots, I don't bother during the day.
BTW- the traditional heavy stick is and remains the world's greatest snake killer. When I was a kid I'd always tease a snake with a stick, sort of stupid if you think about it. The only reason I'd kill a snake these days is if it was a trophy sized (8' plus) diamondback, they are getting pretty rare.

I agree that it's not generally necessary to kill snakes, but if you're going to do it I think a BP revolver with birdshot would be a poor choice. I'd not have much confidence in anything throwing less than half an ounce of birdshot. The chamber capacity of a cap & ball revolver just won't permit very much powder and shot with wads both under and over the shot. No doubt you could come up with something which would work at very short range but you could hardly miss with a ball at 10 feet and the gun would function much more reliably. If I just had to use blackpowder I'd go with a singleshot pistol which could at least hold a good load of powder and shot. I don't live in snake country but I do have the perfect gun for it, a Super Comanche .410 singleshot pistol. It's a reliable small game gun out to 25 yards and would blow a snake to bits at 25 feet and last time I checked they were still retailing for under 200 bucks. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ucts_id/411552193/COM+45LC410+10IN+DUOTONE+AS

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah, I know that I almost never NEED to shoot a snake, but I don´t like them and I don´t feel the least bit bad blowing away a garden snake. I´ve used a Bond Arms .410 derringer in the past that works great. and it doesn´t have to reach way out, for me 10ft would be fine.

I've killed many a rattlesnake, and boy do they taste good on the BBQ pit! Ain't scared of 'em, nor do I hate snakes, but I'll certainly eat 'em!

Here's a video of a guy loading shot in a .36 cal BP pistol. I imagine a .44 cal would give even better results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19EP9ZgygHc

Last edited by a moderator:
Well grasshopper32 if you are dead set on a snake gun look around for a used Navy Arms single shot brass pistol. They are small, smooth bore, percussion. Boxlock (sort of) and the last one I saw was only about $80. Being a smooth bore, single shot you could load in with shot for a snake. Just make sure the snake is really dead before you pick it up- they can flip upside down and play possum. I shot a big (40") coral snake that way and it didn't look like the head was blown off but it was upside down and sure looked dead. In any event I thought I better go get a stick and give it a wack. I turned around, walked about 10' and out of the corner of my eye it flipped right side up and started crawling away. I wanted that snake cause a 40" coral is a big one so I ran back and that time made sure I blew it's head off- the skin is still on my wall.
In the other direction there was a 6 1/2' diamond back a fellow hunter shot while I held the hound back. Even without a head that thing kept moving around and curling around that guy's leg while he was carrying it.

Coral snakes are rarely longer than 24 inches, a 40 inch coral snake would be close to a record. They are also very secretive and virtually never seen in the day. They are listed as endangered in several states, some snake people search for coral snakes for years and never find one. I suspect you found a Scarlet King Snake.

I've not done it personally but what about one of those shot capsule containers made for hand loaders that Speer used to sell. I use them in my .44 mag for spruce hen and rabbits at close range.
Not sure they are bore compatible but perhaps close enough to work for a shot load. Just a thought, I need to check out for myself as well.
If they need to be made a bit larger they could be paper patched to bore diameter but not sure how much powder you could get behind it. MD

Do note that due to the rifling it will make the shot give a donut styled group past maybe 5 yds. You'd certainly miss if you aimed at it beyond maybe 7-10 yds.

They dont pattern too great but plenty good for 10 feet away. I heard the same thing when I asked, "use a shotgun" is what I kept hearing, my opinion is a handgun on your hip is WAY less of a pita than dragging a shotgun around all day! So load it with shot and go at it, smaller powder loads seemed to work better for me, rods got one of my videos posted above check it out and have a blast!

If a snake is 10 feet away there's no reason to kill it. The majority of venomous snakebites occur when someone is either trying to pick up or kill the snake. Just leave the things alone. They're not dragons that will come and eat your children.

No, but it may bite your children. Were I to find a rattlesnake in my yard I would kill it to keep it from possibly biting my child. Mine is 3 1/2 yrs old and not afraid of anything accept some dogs. She has tried to pick up a garter snake when I showed it to her.

My dog is in favor of my killing all snakes. He had the "pre-bite" shots but still was very sick for several days and it took more than a month for the swelling to go down completely. He's a Brittney/German Shorthair cross and normally has a "tight face", with no drooping jowls at all.
Striderbitten.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of allowing things to be usually, but I don't think a blanket statement of let it go is always proper.

I don't kill spiders or scorpions because they eat bugs. But were I to find a black widow or brown recluse you can bet I'm gonna kill it.

rodwha said:
Were I to find a rattlesnake in my yard I would kill it to keep it from possibly biting my child.
Nobody could argue with that. But, that's different than the people who go looking for snakes to kill, for no other reason than the thrill.

The need to kill, without cause, is a strange trait. :youcrazy:

I encounter a few dozen snakes every year on the farm. Most are left alone. Black snacks are beneficial and don't bother anyone. The little ring necks live in rock walls and are rarely seen. The colorful corn snakes also beneficial and don't bother anyone.

We do have large gray snakes that live down in the ravine and they are extremely aggressive and strike at nearly everything. Those are dispatched. I don't even know what they are, don't care. Most snakes are permitted to go on their way. Once in a while for fun, I catch a snake and give it to the neighbor kid. He keeps it a few hours and shows off to all the other kids and then lets it go.

Last snake I caught was a copperhead. Turned it loose at the water company reservoir across the road.

Only snake that ever bit me was a garter snake. They are aggressive little buggers. Camped in western NY state about 15 yrs ago. My 4 year old daughter caught a red racer and played with it for a few hours. About the most mild mannered snakes I ever encountered. She would leave one go and catch another. I never understood why some folks kill every one they see.

Back