• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOLF BALL CANNON

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter D65

32 Cal
Reaction score
Recently acquired a cast iron cannon, English swivel, that is the diameter to shoot golf balls. Does anyone know a good powder charge to start with and what might be considered the max charge. It is one of the Hern Ironworks Cannons.

Mine are steel, so I can crank on it a little. 250Gr FFFG is about right, double that for a blank.
6DCC81AD-3858-4468-B320-DCEAE0D2BC26.jpeg

According to industry standards 1.5-2" diameter and 25-50" barrel length is 656-875 grains of black powder. HOWEVER: My personal opinion is that is way to much powder! Start with about 500 gr. and work up if necessary. Don't blow the gun up!

Recently acquired a cast iron cannon, English swivel, that is the diameter to shoot golf balls. Does anyone know a good powder charge to start with and what might be considered the max charge. It is one of the Hern Ironworks Cannons.
it all depends, if you want to send it to the next county, 400 grains if you are limited on space about 200 gr. just my opinion. thats what I use in my golf ball tube. using 2 F

Please see the comments by the moderators about such 'cannons'. I don't believe it's OK to discuss such items. Thanks.

Back