• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

golden age rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've posted this before, but it's an original rifle in about .36 caliber. Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, but it's the best I can do. Needs cleaning up and restoring. The mainspring doesn't work

No history that I know of. It's owned by a couple of wealthy women, who knew the maker and had apparently done some research, but I forget his name. I offered advice about cleaning it up and further offered to get it photoed for submission to Muzzleloader, and they expressed some interest, but never called me back. It had all the bells and whistles, and a early American Eagle inlet (the skinny kind of bird). It had lots of handling marks on it, and the patchbox had been polished with brasso, as you can tell from the screw heads.

Well, I'd first clean up the brass screw slots with a toothbrush. I'd fix the lock and steam out some handling marks on the stock...nothing major. Definitely no sandpaper involved. From what I could see of the bore, I didn't find any rust. But it's likely there is some down-bore.

Keep the Brasso away from the brass. You don't want to loose value by taking away the patina of the original rifle. A bit of brushing with a soft tooth brush to clean some of the gunk out of the screw slots might be in order, but certainly no aggressive cleaning.

IIRC, only the one side with the patchbox had been polished. Apparently on the side that showed. The women were told it was valuable, but said they didn't need money. I'll never get a chance to clean it.

Back