Quantcast

Golden Age of Piracy

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Art Caputo

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
i have always been fascinated by the “Pirate Era”, reading most anything I could get my hands on since youth. if you haven’t seen it, for sheer entertainment, with decent attention to correct period mentality, politics, and detail (firearms, garb, vessals, sets, etc), the TV series, “Black Sails“ is IMO, a must for the ‘Pirate Age” affectionato. It is a well produced blend of fiction and fact that takes place in the early 1700s West Indies representing a 20 year prequel to the novel “Treasure Island“, while adding a facsimile of the actual characters of the period,...Blackbeard, Vane, Rackham....

Black Sails on “Starz‘
4B7F7832-55D4-457F-B79A-A1E27CA93379.jpeg

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would put the Charlton Heston Treasure island on a list of things to see.
It follows the story well, with a teen age Jim ( Christian Bale) instead of the preteen. It was produced by Fraser Heston, and he has an intrest in black powder an living history and tried to get details right.

beyu

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I would put the Charlton Heston Treasure island on a list of things to see.
It follows the story well, with a teen age Jim ( Christian Bale) instead of the preteen. It was produced by Fraser Heston, and he has an intrest in black powder an living history and tried to get details right.
It IS a pretty good movie, with Charlton Heston having a ball playing Long John. Great line —"... I'll eat yer liver fer breakfast."

And Captain Billy Bones as played by Oliver Reed looks like one more draft of rum will be his last.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My model of a privateer from AWI, eighteen gun Rattlesnake
Little tiny ml cannon, never yet fired :rolleyes:
F9B62FEA-9D7B-4892-9546-5C8DC91C29E2.jpeg
1B254A75-211F-4DE9-910F-16EC58F85F8F.jpeg
C74E4900-D159-4216-9EF8-849A6D072988.jpeg

Rich

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Funny the wreck of the Queen Anne's Revenge only yielded two blunderbus. However, the blunderbus, as a coach-gun would be well suited to sea faring and fighting. Short so easily handled in the tight spaces among rigging, and even better below decks, plus the flared muzzle was actually done to ease loading on a moving platform such as a coach (it does not do anything to change the spread of the shot or alter the flight of a ball), and so would work well on the pitching deck of a ship.

LD
Remember the QAR was scuttled. Most of the arms would have been taken off by the crew.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It’s thought that Teach( Blackbeard) may have grounded the QAR. His logs show he kept his men drunk or near drunk all the time. ‘The crew is hot(drunk)damn hot’ is the phrase he seems to have used.
Tough waters, near the grave yard of the Atlantic. Shoals and small islands, contrary currents and unpredictable winds, lots of experience with shallow draughts ships but rather new to the deeper draughts of the Queen. So it could have been just bad luck.
However grounded could have been stripped pretty easy unless the seas were running too high and beat the wreak to death.

Latest posts