Golden Age of Piracy

Discussion in 'Early Colonial Wars, Musketeers & Pirates' started by Bob J, Dec 23, 2011.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2013 #21

poordevil

poordevil

poordevil

50 Cal.

Does Leonard Day have a web site?

2. Feb 1, 2013 #22

Muskeg Stomper

Muskeg Stomper

Muskeg Stomper

50 Cal.

I don't believe that Leonard has a website, which is a pity since I love seeing his guns. I had been drooling over this one that sold on an online auction site recently. I especially like that you can choose between the wheel or the flint lock.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Feb 3, 2013 #23

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Wow that's a handsome gun.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #24

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Here's another Leonard Day, a slightly later design, but still appropriate for Golden Age of Piracy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mar 9, 2013 #25

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Sorry, cleaned up my images folder. Here they are again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Feb 1, 2019 #26

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Ships were required by law to carry small arms then, and even with out law most ships had just practice reasons to carry arms. Most pirates didn’t have to steel their guns, or their ships. Men and ships drifted in to and out of the life. The arms they carried were the ships arms.

7. Feb 2, 2019 #27

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

BillinOregon

Cannon MLF Supporter

Thanks for bumping this one, Tenn.

8. Feb 3, 2019 #28

Dr5x

Dr5x

Dr5x

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

CONSIDERING THAT ON AVERAGE, PIRATES WERE RAATHER NASTY PEOPLE WHO TENDED TO KILL ALL PEOPLE ON THE SHIPS THEY CAPTURED USING THE UNARGUABLE REASONING OF DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES.
    I THINK A GOLDEN AGE OF PIRACY IS AN ODD PHRASE.
    IF THIS IS not ODD THEN I WOULD EXPECT SOMEOONE IN THE FUTURE WRITING ABOUT THE GOLDEN AGE OF TERRORISM OR THE GOLDEN AGE OF STREET GANGS.

JUST A THOUGHT

DUTCH

9. Feb 3, 2019 #29

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Pirates are victims of bad press, kind of. They showed the black flag as a threat. They robbed what they could take away, wealth and ships needs.
    Drake, Raleigh, Morgan would earn knighthoods for their ways.
    Pirates were armed to the teeth, but could not absorb damage. A pirate ship was a bluff. The hope was the merchant ship would cower and surrender, not stand and fight. Many idlers, men who did work for the ship butdid not stand watches, carpenters,coopers,boswains ect,claimed to have been forced in to a pirate life when captured and brought to trial. Most got off for that reason.
    Although pirates operated outside of the law, they tended to be nationalist. English pirates went after Spanish and French ships. It was French and Spanish pirates that raided British colonies in America.... in general.
    The pirates were thieves, more comparable to hiway men or the railroad robbers like Jesse James, or muggers today.... give us your stuff or die, if you give up your stuff without a fight they go away. Mostly without killing anyone.

10. Feb 3, 2019 #30

1903bluepill

1903bluepill

1903bluepill

Pilgrim

Made for repelling boarders and pirates?

Attached Files:

11. Feb 4, 2019 #31

franky4me

franky4me

franky4me

Pilgrim

There was a HUGE diference between "pirates" and "privaters" Pirates where outlaw pure and simple attacking any merchant ship that came in sight... Buccaneers or Privateers where commissioned by their king to raid ennemy traffic ... the epitome of private entreprise !!! . well most of the time The worst that could happen to them was..... peace !

Coot likes this.
  12. Feb 4, 2019 #32

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Most were privateers before they became pirates. The seventeenth century was an era of war and privateers had largely a free hand. Then peace broke out in 1690, and the men of the pseudo navies suddenly had no job. What they did for praise yesterday bought them a rope today.
    However that twenty year ‘Golden age’ was still carried out with government, well local government, approval. We can compare it to the booze gangs in the 1920s. Booze makes and sellers that suddenly were illegal. They kept up their own work, winked at by local government.
    Someone who lived in any colony from South America through French and English colonies was exposed to goods that passed through pirates hands. It was sold in shops,drank on the governments table, worn by the lady in the manor, and the barmaid in the local inn.
    Kidd, referenced above, was hung for piracy. However his crime was more of bad timing and political inconvenience.

13. Feb 4, 2019 #33

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 ballard xl

32 Cal.

In the United States privateers were authorized by Congress and the administration. These ships were all merchant captained and crewed. When the 2 wars were over, the captains and crews returned to commercial sailing, and happy to do so.

sawyer04 likes this.
  14. Feb 5, 2019 #34

sawyer04

sawyer04

sawyer04

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I get it, the privateers went back to work, while the pirates are the ancestors of todays congress of the U,S,A,

15. Feb 5, 2019 #35

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I don’t know how happy they were to return to commercial traffic. Lots of money in privateering. Washington lost all his ‘Marble Headers’ to go off to privateer. Rattlesnake 1780 from Newport News returned a million dollars from one voyage. Captured on her second voyage she was sold in to the British navy. In ‘84 sold to the French and remained a small warships classed as a sloop of war or a corvette in the French navy. She was too small and too slim to have much cargo room.
    One 14 year old boy on his first voyage asea aboard privateer Ranger recieved for one month at sea twenty pound each of cotton,allspice,ginger and log wood, one ton of sugar, forty gallons of rum and seven hundred dollars.
    Boys, and lubbers normally got a half share. Seaman a share and skilled men one and a half to three shares. Captains eight and officers four shares. When the war was over it was costly to give up the life.

16. Feb 15, 2019 #36

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

There are still pirates. Off the Somali coast, some minor goings on in the Caribbean preying on small yachts. Throughout some island chains in the Southwestern pacific. Been going on since Ancient times.

17. Feb 15, 2019 #37

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Again activities that are encouraged and supported by the local governments. When we think of pirates we think of Blackbeard and Jack Sparrow, but just as important was the linen clad merchant and the silk clad local ’royal officials’

18. Feb 16, 2019 #38

Mickey Merrie

Mickey Merrie

Mickey Merrie

32 Cal

For all your edification! Pirates are everywhere!

19. Feb 16, 2019 #39

Mickey Merrie

Mickey Merrie

Mickey Merrie

32 Cal