• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Golden Age Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul v

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Golden Age Arms trade gun with a Lott lock, probably made in the late 70's or early 80's. Can anybody give me any information on them? thx. Paul

The original Golden Age Arms Co. that I'm familiar began business on High Street in Worthington, Ohio, next door to the Historic Worthington Inn. There was a lawn area separating the inn from the building Golden Age was in, and a large cross section of log was set up for tomahawk throwing. The Golden Age as a Muzzleloading store was a changeover from a vintage bookstore, presumably named Golden Age. James Johnston was the owner of Golden Age Arms, and an elderly lady named Annie (don't recall her last name at the moment)worked there behind the counter. I learned later that she and her husband were the owners of the Golden Age Bookstore.

The shop was small, and I spent a lot of time there in the afternoons after school chatting with Jim and Annie, and occasionally getting loan of a tomahawk to go out and throw.

The shop was small, and always had a selection of a small handful of rifles, presumably made by Jim, and other local craftsmen.

My Dad bought parts to build a rifle there, which he completed in 1970, and I got parts there to complete a percussion pistol completed shortly thereafter.

I did occasional brass casting finish work and also made some silver inlays for Jim.

A gentleman named Tom White visited the store on occasion and was interested in parts to build rifles. He went on to build outstanding quality rifles, and as I recall was commissioned by the NRA to build a rifle presented to a President or notable person. I don't have any other information about him.

After I left Ohio in the late 70's I lost track of Golden Age and Jim, and heard at one point GAA relocated to a location in Delaware Ohio where they had a larger shop and apparently did a lot of on-line sales.

From what I can tell, Golden Age Arms is long gone, their Shop apparently closed sometime in 2005.

If the rifle you're looking at is elaborately and well carved, it may have been built by Tom White. If there are any tiny silver dogwood flowers inlaid in the wrist, they are the ones I made.

One of the first places I did business with My first hawk came from them the one with a round eye.Still have it and use it

This is from the last catalog (#20) that I have --

Yup -- I like the place and dealing with Jim was great sorry to se it go :( .

Does anyone know when Golden Age Arms started up? I have a rifle that has a barrel stamped Golden Age Arms. The rifle was supposedly built back in the 1950's according to it's previous owner. Just wondering if this could be true??

1962,,,on the page posted above it reads "Serving the builder and shooter sence 1962" Bottom center

Gpolden Age Arms was one bad memory for me, as I purchase an Andrew Verner Part Set from them. Ther lock was not what was advetised in the part set.

I called to voice my concerns, and the fellow siad the part set was upgraded.

Thast lock never worked right, and the build who did the build for me was fustrated.

When the rife was done it looked great, but the lock was manure.

I understand Golden Age Arms was OK at one time, but it is good news they are closed. They took advantage of my in like 99 or 00, and that was a first, and last trip down that road.

Good ridence Golden Age Arms.

Long ago, I got their catalog and I still have it.

I never bought anything from them because their prices made Dixie Gunworks prices seem like a cut rate bargain basement store.

I'd quote some of Golden Age's prices but with inflation and the cost of parts now the prices would look low cost but at the time, they were anything but.

Bought my first stock blank & horn from Golden age. I went there sometime around 2000 (give or take)and thought the store was really nice. I don't recall their prices being that much more than anyone else, and I thought the service was pretty good. But I was new and 15 years or so can haze a memory some. Hated to see the store go anyways.

Back