• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gold band

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’d like to add a gold band to the barrel of my current build.

My plan is to mill out a tiny groove around the barrel then undercut it with a chisel.

Should I add the gold before or after blueing? I don’t think the acid in the bluing would hurt the gold, but it may etch it a bit.

What would you guys do?

Yes. Add in the gold band and get it nice and flush before blueing. Gold is one of those materials that doesn't tarnish.

Then send me all your files you use to flush up the gold inlays. Let's start with the coarse ones.

I broke my finger and used a jewelers saw to cut my wedding ring off. My wife replaced it so I hammered it out and fitted it to a gun I was working on.
IMG_0305.jpeg

I chiseled out the groove and undercut the edges, peened it in and then did all the finish work. It didn't tarnish at all.
Robby

I broke my finger and used a jewelers saw to cut my wedding ring off. My wife replaced it so I hammered it out and fitted it to a gun I was working on.
View attachment 114261
I chiseled out the groove and undercut the edges, peened it in and then did all the finish work. It didn't tarnish at all.
Robby
Thank you!

If you watch these treasures hunt shows you will see old god pulled after centuries or more under earth or sea looking brand new.
Silver on the other hand is a black mess, copper is a green blob but gold stays shiny and pure.
Gold is a noble element. Die to its properties it can’t mix with other elements. You can’t make it in to an alloy.
With a lot of work you can add molten gold to copper or silver and get a workable mix., like white gold.
Chemical react with the metal to change its color but gold won’t care

If you watch these treasures hunt shows you will see old god pulled after centuries or more under earth or sea looking brand new.
Silver on the other hand is a black mess, copper is a green blob but gold stays shiny and pure.
Gold is a noble element. Die to its properties it can’t mix with other elements. You can’t make it in to an alloy.
With a lot of work you can add molten gold to copper or silver and get a workable mix., like white gold.
Chemical react with the metal to change its color but gold won’t care

Gold certainly can be alloyed

View attachment 114261
Robby
Aside from you breaking your finger sir, that is quite awesome

Gold certainly can be alloyed
Misspoke. Golds outer electron band is full so it resist making a chemical connection with an other element. Unlike steel or rust where the iron binds with the oxygen or carbon gold wants to stay alone.
Exposed to chemical treatment for browning or blueing it won’t react to the free hydrogen atoms, even though hydrogen is very reactive.

Back