• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gold Balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was casting Musket Balls a while ago. Pot was running low and I put in a section of thin-walled lead pipe I had; very clean, and very soft. Noticed a gold sheen on the dross, and the Balls came out with a distinctly golden hue. Any thoughts?

Eric

My guess would be a thin oxide layer that constructively refracts yellow light, so you see gold. That would be the same reason that lead sometimes had a colored hue to it when in the dark gray oxidized form.

That's how you can get various colors when you anodize titanium. No pigment is added. The thickness of the oxide layer constructively refracts different light at different thicknesses.

Interesting. I did notice that this particular piece of pipe was a very light, "Confederate" gray, and not the darker gray of most lead. Other than that it was perfectly normal...

E

That is simply oxides of lead and tin- nothing more. Its quite common to see when casting lead, and even more common if you are using scrap lead you picked up off the range, which often has tin and antimony, and other trace minerals.

What you see is NOT GOLD! Colors vary from silver, to purple, to gold with the lead oxides, depending on temperature of your furnace, and trace minerals in the lead. If you skim off the oxide, the surface of the molten lead will have its usual "silver" color to it.

Expect to skim the surface of the molten lead periodically during a session of molding balls or bullets, and particularly after you clean the lead using beeswax, or some other substance to draw the foreign matter( dross) to the surface so that it can be skimmed off with a spoon.

I recommend dedicating a specific spoon for this purpose, so you don't use that same spoon for eating food! My father found a large, stainless steel serving spoon at a church bazarre that he bought for $.10. He used that for more than 35 years for casting duties. I am sure that you would not have to visit many garage sales to find a spoon that would fill this need.

Thanx Paul - I kinda thought it might be tin. I've seen pale straw yellow in the pot before; it's just that I never saw it as pronounced as in this batch.

E

Your using GOLD to make RB's ?? I guess that would solve the lead hazard thing, but sheesh!! :rotf:
nilo52

ericb said:
Thanx Paul - I kinda thought it might be tin. I've seen pale straw yellow in the pot before; it's just that I never saw it as pronounced as in this batch.

E
After thousands of years of effort, you have finally cracked the code on alchemy!!! Congratulations! :haha:

I now wear a Merlin Hat, with Stars and Planets, when I cast...

E

Back