• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Going to order a kibler but which one...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hmmm I am thinking really hard and have narrowed down to the SMR in .45 and a colonial 58 smoothbore. I hunt everything bear, deer, and elk the 45 is legal for all three big game in my state. But I also would like to hunt small game as well. I would like to use it for Grouse to that's why I was thinking the 58 smoothbore would be a do it all. I was looking for a quality trade gun but any other kit besides a kibler I do not have the confidence to take on....And I am tired of waiting for Jim to make a trade gun lol.

So , I think I have answered my own question the 58 smoothbore is what I am after...unless you guys and or ladies can come up with something in a smoothbore for the price of a kibler.

a friend and fellow shooter came to my house to shoot on my range a while back, he has a gaggle of muzzleloaders! one is a Kibler colonial in 50cal. it looked great, it shot great, and it balanced well. but it was so heavy! so if you get one make sure you have joint cream after lifting and shooting it far any extended time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had the same dilemma when I ordered mine…which one? Maddening….

The Colonial .58calibre/24gauge smooth rifle…that is going to be my next purchase. Already have the smoothbore supplies…kit funds will slowly be accumulated over time.

Currently building my .40 calibre SMR kit.

Am I the only one who hates to see threads like this? I don't hate the Kibler rifles. I've never shot one. In fact, I've never shot a custom or even semi custom rifle. My gripe is more that I am am a southpaw and it seems like this Kibler fellow doesn't care about folks like me. From what I've gathered it wouldn't be too much work to flip the data in the CNC machine stuff and offer a kit. Almost 30% of the population is left eye dominant and would shoot better with a left handed gun, so it's not just us folks who write with our left hand who get the short stick, there are a bunch of righties as well. That's a pretty significant proportion of the market that is left untapped. Shoot, I'de even even be happy with a gun with a right handed lock and no cast off or cheek piece or patch box. Give me a gun with a right hand lock, but the option or a little of left handed cast off and a left handed cheek piece and patch box and I'd order one right now. Or as soon as I could get approval from the CFO.

Am I the only one who hates to see threads like this?
No your not, but it's not about the lefty/cross-dominant issue.
(My son is cross-dominant so I understand)
It's that absolute disparity of choices that boggles me. A 45 rifle,, OR,, A 58 smoothy,,(?)
Don't get me wrong, those are two different choices for sure,, but I can't imagine any comparable use when the word "Elk" came up in the topic..

Am I the only one who hates to see threads like this? I don't hate the Kibler rifles. I've never shot one. In fact, I've never shot a custom or even semi custom rifle. My gripe is more that I am am a southpaw and it seems like this Kibler fellow doesn't care about folks like me. From what I've gathered it wouldn't be too much work to flip the data in the CNC machine stuff and offer a kit. Almost 30% of the population is left eye dominant and would shoot better with a left handed gun, so it's not just us folks who write with our left hand who get the short stick, there are a bunch of righties as well. That's a pretty significant proportion of the market that is left untapped. Shoot, I'de even even be happy with a gun with a right handed lock and no cast off or cheek piece or patch box. Give me a gun with a right hand lock, but the option or a little of left handed cast off and a left handed cheek piece and patch box and I'd order one right now. Or as soon as I could get approval from the CFO.
It’s not Kibler doesn’t care about SouthPaws…The problem is that everything is CNC Machined. Having all the programming completed to make a left-handed rifle…would be pretty close to building a brand new gun. Kibler is already behind trying to get the guns started so that he can offer a complete line of products.

Then, as a very small firearms manufacturer, would the sales of these new lefty firearms justify the efforts to produce…most manufacturers raise the price of left-handed weaponry, to justify the low numbers of sales.

It’s not that Kibler doesn’t care about Left-Handed customers…it’s economics.

When I was a child playing Alamo, WW2, etc., I used all the toy guns that were set up for Righties. So to this day I can use "normal" guns of all types, but shoot from the left shoulder using the left eye. I even can work a bolt-action well reaching over with my left hand, like the guy in Saving Private Ryan, but even faster than that! Good luck from another Lefty. Left-handed, that is, not politically!

It’s not Kibler doesn’t care about SouthPaws…The problem is that everything is CNC Machined. Having all the programming completed to make a left-handed rifle…would be pretty close to building a brand new gun. Kibler is already behind trying to get the guns started so that he can offer a complete line of products.

Then, as a very small firearms manufacturer, would the sales of these new lefty firearms justify the efforts to produce…most manufacturers raise the price of left-handed weaponry, to justify the low numbers of sales.

It’s not that Kibler doesn’t care about Left-Handed customers…it’s economics.
Actually, he is correct about a making a left handed stock with a right hand lock. To mirror image a CNC program for a wood stock would not be a huge task, and would provide a quick and easy option for lefties. Beyond that it's a simple business decision, does he think there will be enough of a financial payoff to make some left hand stocks instead of more right hand stocks - to quote Don Rickles in Kelly's Heroes, "business is business".

Actually, he is correct about a making a left handed stock with a right hand lock. To mirror image a CNC program for a wood stock would not be a huge task, and would provide a quick and easy option for lefties. Beyond that it's a simple business decision, does he think there will be enough of a financial payoff to make some left hand stocks instead of more right hand stocks - to quote Don Rickles in Kelly's Heroes, "business is business".
Left hand muzzleloader guns are a hard sell; the market is so small, for what already is a small market! Many years ago Dixie had that .50 SMR from Miroku with a Japanese Cherry stock, iron fittings all in left hand. It languished in the catalog for some time, until they had a sale and I bought one, being a lefty. It's a real nice authentic rifle. Forget what I paid, but it was a good buy at the time. Considering that the Cherry Tree is almost holy in Japan, it's cool that they used the wood for gunstocks instead of restoring a temple or something! :) I saw one several years ago at a small gunshow, wish I'd had the money to get it as a "spare"! Could have bought cheap, I'm sure. Anyone else on this site have one of the Dixie LH SMR's by Miroku? A fifty is pretty hard hitting!

The wait begins. 58 cal smoothbore rifle with patch box in cherry has been ordered

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-122959_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-122959_Gmail.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
Hunting elk with a .45 is not legal in all places. Some states require at minimum a .54 caliber. From my elk hunting experience, the bigger the better. I went with a .58 rifle for this exact reason (that and the SMR butt style does not fit my shooting style)
You peaked my interest on what was legal for elk in Arkansas. I looked through the regulations and it said that you can use a muzzleloader legal for deer. The regulations for deer is .40 cal or larger with a rifle. That seems like a great way to shoot an elk and never find it to me.

You peaked my interest on what was legal for elk in Arkansas. I looked through the regulations and it said that you can use a muzzleloader legal for deer. The regulations for deer is .40 cal or larger with a rifle. That seems like a great way to shoot an elk and never find it to me.
I did not know there were Elk in Arkansa!

Latest posts

Back