• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to be getting a matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTyler7011

Pilgrim
Reaction score
The Indian models I’ve seen don’t particular look that great. Stumbled upon this video on YouTube, his piece is gorgeous.

Looking for your opinions on where I can pick up a nice looking fishtail matchlock. Are they similar to flintlocks in the sense that there are a step above Indian models?

Attachments

• 2462A5E8-7E0B-4EC5-937C-C9F15FF337B6.png
    2462A5E8-7E0B-4EC5-937C-C9F15FF337B6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
The photo looks like Kirby Hall the caliver looks a bit over kill on the but plate but fine otherwise Their all pretty much individual only loosly following a pattern . I've made some. Even made a pattern that was to go to India as a pattern but that's years ago for Henry Krank . But no idea if any produced if any . I believe India makes early & late styles , Pretty hard to go too far wrong with a Matchlock . I know Loyalist arms in Canada are very consiencius as to quality . I never bought any but helped them in other matters . Trust that helps .
Rudyard

Beautiful work!
Thank you & Felt Wad . The two M locks are a rude snap M,lock but not intended to be other than a working gun it was made with the 54 cal rifle brl but it has a 50 cal smooth barrel goes into it which was mostly used foe MLAIC type events . The lower is a copy of the Behaim gun residing in the Hermitage circa 1510. Note there is no lock plate the wood its self forming the 'Lock ' Plate .A study of both sides will show how it worked the button being the ' trigger' Awkward to hold but type used by Landsketch soldiers It too had a 40 cal smooth & rifle option there is a reverse side pic and above them,all is a 12 Bore MLock based on Lenk's Classic on the origin of flintlocks .he describes it as Western Europe c 1630 .This is the gun we used to shoot clays even 'Driven" The larger flask is of what I think is Russa . I found a half head in the Whakatane river so used a section to later complete into a carved flask the work done in Alice Springs in 1990 St George & the Dragon must finnish one day .The little stag flask ditto only carve while trapping opposoms in NZ 1968 . The stock wood by the way was Miro from a Church roof some what anmmusingly several M locks came out of that holy wood. I had it so used it . Hopefully Felt Wood will show all the pics I sent most being flasks & horns I have or made .
Rudyard

Another couple of images of Rudyards matchlocks The first image is a extension of the original showing their full length and a extra matchlock .The second image is the reverse side plus his horn flasks .
Feltwad

IMG-9137.JPG
IMG-9139.JPG

Thank you Felt Wad . The butt stock of the top M lock is its main feature ,The brass end flask has no rational time period décor.. But do'se show the brass dragon fettled from an electrical lump of brass .Note the steel extended flattened Scots flask this is made with a square hole spanner to tighten the flint jaws on the Snaphance rifle shown in the photoed page . The rifle a 45 cal used for hunting here . The cheek stock carbine is ' English lock' last form as it the Mulberry stocked Blunder buss with a dog only other items of note are the adapted needle case primer & the horn charger topped primer once called' a Bogey'! if not by me .Tts a piece of antelope of some African sort .with a Dixon top . Oh the thick feather in the M Lock trigger spring is to adjust the engagement of the scear nose . The horn pins simpley to guide my fingers to hold the stock better .
Regards & all hail Felt Wad ,
Rudyard,

PS the scratty old ' Duck canvas' hunting bag is showing a lot bush miles since I made years ago , Mostly it has compass a 'Marble' type match box, sewing stuff , a lens and a P 38 tin (GI one) opener , besides tinder box, glasses case , & other junk like bits of rubber balloon or inner tube to start a reluctant fire. Incidentally I once bought one of these' Marble' type water proof match boxes . But finding it too hard to open took it back the the sports shop in Quesnel BC. The shop keeper exchanged it but didn't want the faulty one . So as I was hitching south of town I though to open it and wrote a note & put it inside closed it and layed in the graven where just such as I would certainly find it & struggle to open it to find my note that read ' "Yes I had a trouble opening it too!' R

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back