• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going public!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The unfortunate repercussions of firearms restrictions is that the many are punished for the actions of the very few. All of these restrictions, regardless of the locality, only hamper and restrict honest citizens as the criminal element will by definition break those same laws. I personally think that the true "crime" here is to lump Brit in with those that would misuse illegally obtained weapons with the intent to cause others harm. But that kind of complicated logic is far beyond what the typical politician is capable of. The fact that your laws regarding the possession and use of firearms is so convoluted is truly unfortunate. It is sad when the best that we can hope for is that things won't get any worse. Sorry for your troubles Brit.

Britsmoothy,

I dunno if this helps, but I killed a whitetail doe with 5, .440 RB’s fired out of a 24 gauge Northwest Gun over 35 years ago. I think I was using a 70 grain load. I think FFFG. Hit her good with all 5 balls at about 35 yds. It’s all I had, ammo-wise at the time! She did not run. Bang-flop.

Good luck!!!
Just ordered 50 9mm lead balls to experiment with.
Got to stick to the law feller's and if the law says more is better than one then they gotta be right hey.

The unfortunate repercussions of firearms restrictions is that the many are punished for the actions of the very few. All of these restrictions, regardless of the locality, only hamper and restrict honest citizens as the criminal element will by definition break those same laws. I personally think that the true "crime" here is to lump Brit in with those that would misuse illegally obtained weapons with the intent to cause others harm. But that kind of complicated logic is far beyond what the typical politician is capable of. The fact that your laws regarding the possession and use of firearms is so convoluted is truly unfortunate. It is sad when the best that we can hope for is that things won't get any worse. Sorry for your troubles Brit.
You summed it up perfectly.

B.

Britsmoothy, you could always go "rouge" and hide out off the grid! I hear Sherwood Forest should offer ample protection at least from that bumbling ole Nottingham Sherriff!

I'd highly recommend finding like minded folk to join you! There is safety in numbers, and that old saying "The more the merrier", I believe originated in your neck of the woods.

The hardest thing (if I was in your shoes) would be deciding whether or not to take that shot on "The King's deer" for needed meat for the pot. An offense worthy of the noose if caught. But hey! You'd become a legend!

All kidding aside Brit, I really do empathize with your plight! Here in America much of our freedom is taken for granted until it is lost. England has a well written history pertaining to hunting laws that pretty much only benefitted the wealthy landed gentry. Just one of many reasons a lot of her "peasants" boarded ships bound for that wilderness across the pond.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Brit. There are no education, logic or common sense requirements for our elected legislators. They just have to win a popularity contest, not actually know what they are doing, and both our country's laws sometimes reflect that. Being "tough on crime" and "common sense gun control" may sound good in theory, but it usually only means further burdens on the already law-abiding who aren't the problem.

And I'll echo those who've advised we be careful with what we post. Not everyone reading these forums are necessarily our friends. No need to give those who'd love to see an end to hunting and civilian gun ownership more ammo to do so.

Purely as an exercise - a 150gr patched ball would have to be making just a tad under 2300 fps to get the minimum 1700 ft lbs m/e required in UK law for ANY deer species larger than Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer.

Purely as an exercise - a 150gr patched ball would have to be making just a tad under 2300 fps to get the minimum 1700 ft lbs m/e required in UK law for ANY deer species larger than Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer.
Yes sir.
In Scotland it would fall foul of the velocity requirements also.
Northern Ireland maybe possible.

All we can do is to suggest some things via our own knowledge and experiences from afar. But a broader observation is that your circumstances would not seem to be unique, and limited to you as an individual. rather, they would seem to apply to a rather broad class of firearms;. I would suspect that, in the UK, kike the USA, ML'ers are a very small group relative to modern firearms. Law makers are generally not that familiar with their unique features and capabilities, so laws get written that get applied to them somewhat unfairly.

I would really suggest that you be in touch with your national shooting sports associations to assist you in this matter. Chances are that there has been a similar circumstance before. I suspect that, while the laws get made by the elected officials, but it is staff that writes them, and staff that writes the actual regulations that are applied. It could be that you need the actual regulations modified, and a national organization is going to be in a far better position to effectuate that than you are as an individual.

Another route that is pursued here is to wage your effort in the court of public opinion. Newspapers, and other communications media. That's a much tougher and longer road, but if you want to go that route, it COULD get done. The risk there is that peoples' public opinions don't always follow their knowledge of the facts however,and it can be difficult to get attention by the media.

Best of luck to you however you choose to pursue it however, and please keep us posted.

Not to add a nagative spin at all Brit, but, it does seem that the lawmakers(all over the world) aren't the smartest when it comes to muzzleloaders. In addition, it seems some journalists are not the smartest either. If you have not all ready, if you want, you can look at the last link I provided, but don't do it if you are hesitant. BUT, things always (usually) have a way of working themselves out IF it is justified above and beyond strict standards. So if you choose to look at the article(it's long), i'll save you the trouble of going back:

https://theconversation.com/criminals-are-using-antique-weapons-due-to-a-loophole-in-uk-law-102666

Not to add a nagative spin at all Brit, but, it does seem that the lawmakers(all over the world) aren't the smartest when it comes to muzzleloaders. In addition, it seems some journalists are not the smartest either. If you have not all ready, if you want, you can look at the last link I provided, but don't do it if you are hesitant. BUT, things always (usually) have a way of working themselves out IF it is justified above and beyond strict standards. So if you choose to look at the article(it's long), i'll save you the trouble of going back:

https://theconversation.com/criminals-are-using-antique-weapons-due-to-a-loophole-in-uk-law-102666
Thank you and yes most of the shooting folk over here are aware of the above.

Back