• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going after specks and snows

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use steel shot for waterfowl, and nobody legally has to use only this. I prefer to use bismuth shot (non-lead and legal everywhere), as it acts very much like lead shot in effectiveness and it does no damage to shotgun barrels. Bismuth is higher cost but its advantages are worth it to me. I know that a lot of hunters buy steel shot cartridges for very modern guns with heavy tough barrels but I worry too much that my older guns and muzzleloaders would be harmed by the hard steel pellets. There has been speculation that muzzleloader velocities make steel shot less effective but I don't have any firsthand knowledge about this; I do know that the steel cartridges are given as high a velocity as possible to make the light steel pellets work better. Anybody with steel shot experience in muzzleloading shotguns please share what you have learned! And a happy Thanksgiving Day to everybody.

Last edited:
I don't use steel shot for waterfowl, and nobody legally has to use only this. I prefer to use bismuth shot (non-lead and legal everywhere), as it acts very much like lead shot in effectiveness and it does no damage to shotgun barrels. Bismuth is higher cost but its advantages are worth it to me. I know that a lot of hunters buy steel shot cartridges for very modern guns with heavy tough barrels but I worry too much that my older guns and muzzleloaders would be harmed by the hard steel pellets. There has been speculation that muzzleloader velocities make steel shot less effective but I don't have any firsthand knowledge about this; I do know that the steel cartridges are given as high a velocity as possible to make the light steel pellets work better. Anybody with steel shot experience in muzzleloading shotguns please share what you have learned!
I tried it for a few shots and I did get a duck but it was far from ideal.

Another opinion here fellas.
I was an avid waterfowler back in the late '60s through the '80s and when the lead ban was put in place. I hated it like everyone else but I saw the need for it first hand.
At the time the majority of the snow goose population migrated down the Missouri River corridor along with Canadas, whitefronts, and huge numbers of ducks. There were many natural wetlands and shallow backwaters off of the river and in the river valley that had been popular hunting areas for many years. How many thousands of rounds had been fired over these areas over many years? There were and are many outfitters in the area that would flood man made lakes that drew ducks and geese like magnets. Its not only in my area but places all over our country that have areas that attract waterfowl and historically have been heavily hunted. I never saw effected birds from lead during the fall migration because they are generally driven off of these areas by hunters at that time. Having a keen interest in waterfowl, I would visit these areas during the spring migration to watch the birds. This is when it was quite apparent that the birds were being poisoned by lead ingested when they were unmolested on these areas and able to feed in the shallow water.
At the time eagles were on the endangered species list. Eagles often follow the waterfowl migrations and feed on dead or sick birds. These birds were being brought in to raptor recovery centers with lead poisoning and not from being shot. If you have ever witnessed an animal with lead poisoning it is not a pretty sight. How many other species were being affected?
Did the government go to far with the ban? Yes! I would be the first to agree. Someone hunting over grain fields and firing a few shells during a season is causing next to no harm. There are many cases where a total ban was not necessary but I do believe that there is a case for non-toxic shot.
As I said, I was not happy about the ban either. Please bare with me here as I mention the unmentionables. My old 10ga double that was a great goose slayer with #2 lead shot and my Belgian Browning Auto 5 could not fire steel shot. I had to replace a gun to continue waterfowling. Early steel shot shells sucked.As steel lacks the weight of lead we dropped down 2 shot sizes to try to get equal energy to lead. Velocity was the only way to make up for what steel lacked in weight and the early shells did not have it.
Steel shot shells have improved greatly over the years. Speeds are now commonly in the 1450 fps and up range. On manufacturer has steel moving at over 1700 fps. A load of BBs at these speeds is a very effective load at reasonable ranges.You will always have the guy who wants to shoot large Canada geese at 80 yards and cuss the steel because he wounds birds.
Although I have never tried it I would not shoot steel through my muzzleloaders. Lack of velocity is the reason that I doubt steels effectiveness with black powder. I would definately pay the bucks for a heavier non-toxic shot.
Believe me guys, I worry as much about future lead bans as anyone. I shoot only round balls through my muzzle loaders and wonder what the future brings.
I do believe however that there is a place for non-toxic shot concerning waterfowl as I have seen the effects.

Take care,
Ed

Another opinion here fellas.
I was an avid waterfowler back in the late '60s through the '80s and when the lead ban was put in place. I hated it like everyone else but I saw the need for it first hand.
At the time the majority of the snow goose population migrated down the Missouri River corridor along with Canadas, whitefronts, and huge numbers of ducks. There were many natural wetlands and shallow backwaters off of the river and in the river valley that had been popular hunting areas for many years. How many thousands of rounds had been fired over these areas over many years? There were and are many outfitters in the area that would flood man made lakes that drew ducks and geese like magnets. Its not only in my area but places all over our country that have areas that attract waterfowl and historically have been heavily hunted. I never saw effected birds from lead during the fall migration because they are generally driven off of these areas by hunters at that time. Having a keen interest in waterfowl, I would visit these areas during the spring migration to watch the birds. This is when it was quite apparent that the birds were being poisoned by lead ingested when they were unmolested on these areas and able to feed in the shallow water.
At the time eagles were on the endangered species list. Eagles often follow the waterfowl migrations and feed on dead or sick birds. These birds were being brought in to raptor recovery centers with lead poisoning and not from being shot. If you have ever witnessed an animal with lead poisoning it is not a pretty sight. How many other species were being affected?
Did the government go to far with the ban? Yes! I would be the first to agree. Someone hunting over grain fields and firing a few shells during a season is causing next to no harm. There are many cases where a total ban was not necessary but I do believe that there is a case for non-toxic shot.
As I said, I was not happy about the ban either. Please bare with me here as I mention the unmentionables. My old 10ga double that was a great goose slayer with #2 lead shot and my Belgian Browning Auto 5 could not fire steel shot. I had to replace a gun to continue waterfowling. Early steel shot shells sucked.As steel lacks the weight of lead we dropped down 2 shot sizes to try to get equal energy to lead. Velocity was the only way to make up for what steel lacked in weight and the early shells did not have it.
Steel shot shells have improved greatly over the years. Speeds are now commonly in the 1450 fps and up range. On manufacturer has steel moving at over 1700 fps. A load of BBs at these speeds is a very effective load at reasonable ranges.You will always have the guy who wants to shoot large Canada geese at 80 yards and cuss the steel because he wounds birds.
Although I have never tried it I would not shoot steel through my muzzleloaders. Lack of velocity is the reason that I doubt steels effectiveness with black powder. I would definately pay the bucks for a heavier non-toxic shot.
Believe me guys, I worry as much about future lead bans as anyone. I shoot only round balls through my muzzle loaders and wonder what the future brings.
I do believe however that there is a place for non-toxic shot concerning waterfowl as I have seen the effects.

Take care,
Ed

As for raptors getting lead I am afraid it is not just from waterfowl. When a critter is wounded but gets away carrying lead pellets it becomes the slow limper that the hawk or eagle picks off and eats, lead pellets and all.

As for heavy non-tox, SpheroTungsten Super Max-18 shot is 40% denser than lead. I shot some spring gobblers with it out of my Pedersoli 20 ga SxS this last spring and they dropped like they were struck with Thor's hammer. But this stuff is harder than barrel steel and VERY spendy. Too much so for me to afford to use it for waterfowl.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/SpheroTungsten/products/913/

Last edited:
Federal Waterfowl Regulations, beginning around the 1980's, if memory serves.

A few government "scientits" (note quotes) decided that lead shot was poisoning (lead poisoning) fish and other wildlife.

Congress in their "infinite wisdom" (note quotes) believed the alleged "scientists" (note quotes) and outlawed lead shot for taking any migratory waterfowl.
The fool President at the time, signed that BS legislation into law.

Hi there ugly old guy. Things keep changing in Montana, I hunt the Charles Russell refuge for elk, with archery, and also a little bird hunting. Now we're required to use steel shot for all upland game birds on the CMR. I believe that applies to other areas that are totally controlled by the FWP here in Montana.

The reason is lead sinks to the bottom or lays on the ground. Ducks and geese pick up the lead through feeding or to use in their gullet like they do pebbles. This causes lead poisoning. It was pretty prevalent for a bit in the nesting grounds.

Back when we could use lead shot on ducks I preferred Nitro #6s. They killed really well jumping ponds, never tried them for pass shooting, maybe 4s were better for that.

The first steel rounds were a pitiful thing, we used the same size pellets and they were around 1200fps. Lots of cripples back then.

Then they decided to crank up the velocity, and use bigger shot. I hunted with 3" shells @ 1550 fps for 1 1/8 oz of steel #2.

They completely FLATTENED these Snows, when we did our part. I hadn't hunted with the high velocity steel before; but now I'M SOLD.

Birds are constantly on the lookout for grit for their gizzard, that's what birds are doing walking around in the street. I guess it stands to reason they would pick up lead pellets, not to eat them, but for grit. Then lead does what it does best... kills.

Life is about change, the only thing that never changes is that everything changes... so be it.

I cursed the decision to ban lead on waterfowl, but this high speed steel worked VERY WELL.

Just don't chip a tooth eating the birds.... LOL.

Peanut field! Never heard of hunting such a thing. Out here in the Sacramento Valley it's pretty much all rice field hunting. I thought peanuts grow in the roots?

Sorry I just saw this. Yes, peanuts still grow underground, but after they are harvested by modern machinery there are tons left in the field, some the harvestor rejects by automation. Much like a cotton field is covered in white after modern harvesting, peanuts are the same.

This leaves a huge buffet for the birds, some of the hunters i was with gathered pocket fulls to take home. I was there for the birds.

Back