• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex vs Swiss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I see a lot of talk on this and keep hearing v that Swiss cost more than Goex. But no one says how much more expensive. Anyone herd know? I only use about 2 pounds d's per year so would rather pay more for the best.

If only shooting 2 pounds and want the best buy Swiss. If Goex gets up and running again next year hopefully they will bring back Olde Eynsford which is real close to Swiss in my rifles. I personally would stay away from Swiss Caviar powder as I dont think it performs nearly as well in the loads I use. I only shoot 3F and that is what I am basing my opinion on.

Difference is only about $2-3/lb. Buy by the case and that gets lower. Swiss is also a bit more energetic so you can usually cut the powder charge a bit and have the same accuracy meaning more shots/lb with Swiss. I only shoot Swiss in competition and go through about 30lb/yr.

When Goex was available, it cost about 20 bucks or so a pound. Swiss was closer to 30 bucks.
Graf&sons house brand, made by Schuetzen, runs about 20 bucks a pound today and from a few things I've read, it appears to be similar to the old Goex powder.
I have a few pounds of Goex 3f, Old Ensyford 3f and Swiss 3f and 2f.
I do like the Swiss 3f, it's similar to Triple 7, imo.

Swiss has long been considered the premium powder. Now that Goex is in limbo I would buy Swiss in quanity as I believe it will only get more expensive with time. Properly stored it will last longer than you will.

Difference is only about $2-3/lb. Buy by the case and that gets lower. Swiss is also a bit more energetic so you can usually cut the powder charge a bit and have the same accuracy meaning more shots/lb with Swiss. I only shoot Swiss in competition and go through about 30lb/yr.
Dave, these days is more like 7-12 dollar difference depending on granulation and where you buy it. That is compared to Schuetzen since GOEX is still out of production. But I agree that it pays in the long run, cleaner, more accurate, more energetic so more shots per pound. I shoot 70 grains of GOEX 3F on my Hawken 50 for about 1600 FPS, I do the same with 56 grains of Swiss, one ragged hole at 50yds with both!! IIRC

If you have to order it it won't be a 1 or 2 pound purchase. Grafs sells in case lots only. With hazmat ECT hang on to your wallet! Got any friends that shoot? Throw in together to reduce cost.

Dave, these days is more like 7-12 dollar difference depending on granulation and where you buy it. That is compared to Schuetzen since GOEX is still out of production. But I agree that it pays in the long run, cleaner, more accurate, more energetic so more shots per pound. I shoot 70 grains of GOEX 3F on my Hawken 50 for about 1600 FPS, I do the same with 56 grains of Swiss, one ragged hole at 50yds with both!! IIRC
I used to shoot Goex Old E and the price difference was about $2-3/lb.

But to your example of 70g 3f Goex v 56g 3f Swiss, that's 14g/shot difference and it works out to about 25%. Unless Swiss costs over 25% more than Goex, it's hard to make the case that Goex is more economical Your example and my experience with Swiss and Old E bear this out as well. You get what you pay for.

up until Goex closed I had never used Swiss or Schuetzen but after Goex went out I tried some of both. To me there seems to be very little difference in the performance of the rifles I've tried it in.

If you have to order it it won't be a 1 or 2 pound purchase. Grafs sells in case lots only. With hazmat ECT hang on to your wallet! Got any friends that shoot? Throw in together to reduce cost.
Grafs will sale any amount you want in any combination of brands and granulations. I have to pay the HM fees either way so I normally buy by the case but you don’t have too! As little as one pound will do, it just get to be close to $70 a pound, 🤕 ouch!!!!

My .50cal percussion likes 80gr of Goex 2f.
My .50cal flintlock likes 80gr of Swiss 2f.

So I buy both. Its just that simple for me. And yes, I've shot both powders thru both guns, with various charges.

Latest posts

Back