• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex vs Pyrodex.......POA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. 16 gauge

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone done any testing with regards to switching from black powder to pyrodex and it changing their point of aim for their load? I picked up a pound of pyrodex RS today ($30......ugh! :rolleyes:) to help stretch my current black powder supply; figured I could use it in my shotguns to break clays (where there probably wouldn't be a difference) and for punching paper with my rifles. Then I got to wondering if it would change my point of impact; seems to me that it might.
With re: to flintlocks........I've heard that you can use BP as a "booster" or "starter" charge to set of the pyrodex, which is harder to ignite in flintlocks. From what I've read on other posts here on the site, the charge is around 10 grains or so. What I'm wondering is if I can use 4F for this 'booster" charge, or does it need to be 3F for some particular reason I am unaware of?
Thanks in advance...................................

I do not like Pyrodex because I rarely have a misfire-but when I do - it
has been a sub- usually pyrodex. Now fresh pyrodex is reliable.
As to point of aim, they are the same in my experience. Now, if
charges are identical,Pyrodex might have a little edge above 50yds +
as it is a little hotter than BP - but I haven't noticed that.

I found very similar results from Pyrodex RS and Goex ffg. Only way to tell is to load it up and shoot it in your gun.

Thanks for the replies..............I'd love to try Swiss or some other powder, but everywhere I've checked has been out of stock; hopefully with the demise of the GOEX plant and supply chain difficulties, the pyrodex can get me through until I can get some real BP.
I don't like pyrodex, either..........have had some NASTY hangfires in cold weather.
.....but I hate NOT shooting even more. If the prices continue to be in the stratosphere, I might be digging out my Whammo slingshot from when I was a kid.........

Pyrodex . Is loaded volume for volume. One uses the same measure. But pyrodex is a little lighter per volume.
Let’s say a 70 grain charge by volume is your best load in 3f GOex. Now your volume of pyrodex in that load will be a little hotter, it’s as if you loaded eighty grains of black GoE. So you might shoot tad higher, your group might be a tad bigger
So to get the same performance you may need to cut back your volume a bit to say 65.
Swiss is hotter then GOex so if you switched to Swiss you might have to do the same.

Thanks for the replies..............I'd love to try Swiss or some other powder, but everywhere I've checked has been out of stock; hopefully with the demise of the GOEX plant and supply chain difficulties, the pyrodex can get me through until I can get some real BP.
I don't like pyrodex, either..........have had some NASTY hangfires in cold weather.
.....but I hate NOT shooting even more. If the prices continue to be in the stratosphere, I might be digging out my Whammo slingshot from when I was a kid.........
Don't use the RS in rifles. I got periodic hesitation and problem ignitions with it. I changed to P and it stopped. I only used RS in my cannon. You could duplex it but that means carrying one more thing.

Back