• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex v. Pyrodex v. Triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s your favorite powder and why... please.
To be honest, I have no preferences. I get what ever I can & make it work. The last batch I got was French, & I heard that this gunpowder was inferior, but I found it to work just fine.
Fusil-Reduced.jpg

Keith.

What’s your favorite powder and why... please.
1. Triple 7 for the percussions
2. Goex for the flintlock
Although sometimes, if I'm feeling homesick for the scent & sound, I'll load 'em all with Goex.

Since I shoot a light load (47 grains) at the range, I don't bother changing the load when I switch from 777 to the true BP. But I do adjust sight picture depending on the powder I'm using.

artmechanic

Pistol I use Triple 7, muskets and rifles I use GOEX only. Just a personal preference and nothing scientific about it. Both make smoke and require cleaning so no advantage.

Actually there is something scientific about them which is important. Pyrodex and Triple 7 smoke-fumes contain cyanide and black powder does not.

Breathing cyanide is not good. Breathing cyanide is even more dangerous when shooting at a range that has low ceilings and poor circulation.

I will keep my Goex.

Actually there is something scientific about them which is important. Pyrodex and Triple 7 smoke-fumes contain cyanide and black powder does not.

Breathing cyanide is not good. Breathing cyanide is even more dangerous when shooting at a range that has low ceilings and poor circulation.

I will keep my Goex.

FishDFly, thanks for the info. Never knew that. Learn something new everyday.

If I ever get off my butt and shoot the new Walker, I'll let you know. I have SWISS 3Fg., GOEX Olde Eynsford 3Fg., Hodgden Triple Se7en 3Fg., Pyrodex 30 grain pistol pellets. I'll let you know what I think once I get around to making some smoke with BP revolver. I have GOEX 2Fg. for the 1861 Springfield.

A little cyanide never hurt no-one in fact eating appleseeds which contains cyanide is beneficial and anti cancer!
In saying that I hate pyrodex....now, now I can get real black!

B.

Seems to me, if I remember right, the selling point of Pyrodex when it first came out was that it was supposed to foul the bbl less than black powder, but I had enough problem loading after a few shots, that I began running a copper cleaning brush down the bbl a few times after each shot, so I never saw an advantage, other than sometimes it was available, when other stuff wasn’t.

"the selling point of Pyrodex when it first came out was that it was supposed to foul the bbl less than black powder"
Actually, it stated Pyrodex did not corrode "like" black powder. That was a lawyer/market play on words. It corrodes, and badly, but in a manner different than black powder. I use only bp. I'm kind of a snob on that point.

If I ever get off my butt and shoot the new Walker, I'll let you know. I have SWISS 3Fg., GOEX Olde Eynsford 3Fg., Hodgden Triple Se7en 3Fg., Pyrodex 30 grain pistol pellets. I'll let you know what I think once I get around to making some smoke with BP revolver. I have GOEX 2Fg. for the 1861 Springfield.

Try 2F in the Walker. I'm betting you will get better accuracy.

I use both Goex Olde Eynsford and Triple 7, and like them both. I prefer Olde E as it’s not as expensive.

I was given 3 lbs of Pyrodex and hate the stuff. Mostly because I find the fouling on my revolvers to have a sticky quality to it, but also because of how quickly corrosion begins compared to BP.

I use Goex in a flintlock out of necessity. I use Triple 7 in the percussion rifles based on availability locally. My smoothbore will burn Triple 7 or Pyrodex in the same amount and throw the same pattern with shot, but the velocity is much higher when using balls over Triple 7.

My favorite powder is Black MZ. If Black MZ were not available then i'd switch to Pyrodex.

i thoroughly detest black powder.

I've used about all of them over the years and they all require diligent cleaning of the weapon. My motto is to never let the sun go down on a dirty gun. That said, for the last several years all I've used is black powder and I hope that it never changes. I much prefer holy black over the subs. But......use what you can get.

Jeff H

Back