• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX Update (again)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Estes uses a lot of black powder to make model rocket motors, so vertically integrating would make sense. Plus they would be able to sell to GOEX's old military customers. Hope it comes to a good outcome for everybody.

The navys big guns on the battleships still use black powder for priming charges. They are the main customer for black powder.

Exactly how many battleships are on active duty? Answer- none. So I don't think they are consuming much black powder. There are 4 Iowa class battleships that could be recommissioned and returned to active service- USS Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin and Missouri. There are a further 4 battleships that have been turned into museum ships- USS Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, and Massachusetts. Of those, due to maintenance issues, they will never return to service. All the remaining ships with the BB classification have been sunk or scrapped.

Exactly how many battleships are on active duty? Answer- none. So I don't think they are consuming much black powder. There are 4 Iowa class battleships that could be recommissioned and returned to active service- USS Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin and Missouri. There are a further 4 battleships that have been turned into museum ships- USS Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, and Massachusetts. Of those, due to maintenance issues, they will never return to service. All the remaining ships with the BB classification have been sunk or scrapped.
Wow!! As a country, if we ever needed to re-commission the USS Texas we would be in very serious trouble.

They (gov/military) do use black powder for a number of purposes. I doubt model rockets is one of them. I'm not surprised to see Goex bought and back in production, the military needs pretty much dictated somebody would buy it as it's a guaranteed customer/market. If you think we muzzleloading guys are the main customer, think again.

Signal rockets for USCG? Line-throwing devices? Grapnel-throwers? All those kinds of devices here in UK STILL use BP.

Common sense in my opinion….I believe as examples have been said in this thread, there are many reasons to Have a active Black Powder plant manufacturing for the military and the civilian market in the USA.
It would be prudent to say a company would look at all facets of a business deal prior to purchase… and if they are making black powder with ability to Sell it in 1lb containers to us Muzzleloader guys.. I’d imagine that it be a Sound Business Avenue on top of all the other things they would be doing.
However I’m sure there is more to it than that speculation…. yet that’s a optimistic point of view and a sound one at that , I think.

The navys big guns on the battleships still use black powder for priming charges. They are the main customer for black powder.
I don't think, what with computer-guided Hawkeye missiles, etc., that they use battleship guns anymore; maybe on the Constitution or something. One guided missile from an enemy could take out a whole aircraft carrier without even being in eye sight. Those 16" guns that Reagan used against the terrorists in the 1980's are obsolete.

It's time for a thread on HOW TO MAKE BP and let the experienced folk here share their process! To blazes with censorship! IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!

Not that I want to see anyone hurt, but Goex has a history of fires and explosions at the plant. Unless something changes in the workplace, the clock starts again.

Considering the fact that the 2011 explosion was caused by Bubba tossing floor sweepings into the corning mill i would expect more fires and kabooms.

i'm waiting for the results of the BATFE investigation into the 2021 fire and explosion.

Black powder is used as igniters and primers in artillery propelling charges. It's also used in some military pyrotechnics.

It's time for a thread on HOW TO MAKE BP and let the experienced folk here share their process! To blazes with censorship! IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!

Let me be clear, if another thread pops up for the making of Black Powder it WILL BE DELETED, just like those before it. Also, the OP will receive warning points towards getting BANNED.

If THIS Thread continues to discuss Making Black Powder it will be deleted as well!
The rules are the rules... PERIOD!

Some of us prefer to "Buy American", even if others consider import powders better. Competition in the market place is important.

Wonder if e-mails to the new owners would have an impact on them to make BP for our niche market?

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back