• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX Update (again)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My wife and I had lunch with the usual group of skirmishers today (1-26-22) and I had a chance to talk with Jackie, owner of Back Creek Gun Shop which is the 4th. largest GOEX distributor in the US. I started the conversation off with "Jackie, I heard GOEX has been sold to Estes Model Rockets". His reply (paraphrased) was that he was told in a phone conversation with them that GOEX had indeed been sold and that the company had started to rebuild the damaged building. They would not tell him who had bought it and that's the extent of the available information.

It is not my intent to start another circus regarding who bought it, if/when powder will be available again, how much it will cost and what color can it may come in. Speculation be darned, this is the only information that can be confirmed now.

Yep, EOS Energetics is listed as doing business as Estes Energetics. Goex Industries, LLC, EOS Energetics/Estes Energetics, and Estes Rockets all share the same address.

I would withhold judgement until more is known about what the plans for the actual manufacturing are. The corporate filings show movement on the business entity side of things, but nothing solid yet is known about what the plan for manufacturing or reopening the plant will be. It could well be shooting powder is going to be manufactured again, and it could be equally true that the new company makes only products for the rocket business and shuts down the portion for making shooting powder. Both are equal speculation as of now. But I will say movement on the entity side of things is better than the status quo of a drifting entity and shuttered plant.

I would hope...especially on this forum, that scenario is not even contemplated and we hope/wish/pray for the best of the best to the new owners for success and safety of the product line and workers.

Not that I want to see anyone hurt, but Goex has a history of fires and explosions at the plant. Unless something changes in the workplace, the clock starts again. Strange that Schuetzen hasn't had any issues. If you are intellectually honest, you have to come to the conclusion that insanity is doing the same thing again expecting different results.

From the Estes employment ad on Zip Recruiter...

Desired

• Defense industry or government contracting experience
That would indicate they plan on making a product that the government uses. Do the armed forces use model rocket engines?

They (gov/military) do use black powder for a number of purposes. I doubt model rockets is one of them. I'm not surprised to see Goex bought and back in production, the military needs pretty much dictated somebody would buy it as it's a guaranteed customer/market. If you think we muzzleloading guys are the main customer, think again.

I thought the obvious facetious nature of my question regarding the military using model rocket engines was obvious enough to preclude the necessity of an emoticon, or disclaimer. I guess not.

And no, I don't think we're the main customer, but we don't really know how much Goex product goes where...do we? If we veer too far from the thread topic, this thread will also get locked. I don't want to be part of the reason, so I'm out.

From reading the Estes Energetics website, it looks like they are working on solid fuel rocket propellants for potential defense use. So I would assume for stuff like RPG's, mortars, and stuff like that. I would assume that conventional black powder leaves too much corrosive residue for modern military applications, so my guess is that they won't be doing as much of that, but who knows.

Black powder is still used as a booster/primer charge in certain naval rounds. The US military would still be a customer. The question, which is related though somewhat different is whether they will market shooting powder as a consumer product. Hopefully, the answer will be "yes", but I'll await confirmation rather than speculate on that more specific question. There just aren't enough facts to affirmatively say, "Estes bought the company and will reopen the plant, and sell consumer black powder as Goex did in the past." As information trickles out, we will know more.

Interesting that their agent for service of process is located in the building over from my new office in Lafayette, LA. But that is simply a "service" and that agent would have no clue about the company's business. The Secretary of State site does indicate that Minden, LA is the company's principal business establishment in Louisiana so it is definitely the old Goex plant.

Black powder is still used as a booster/primer charge in certain naval rounds. The US military would still be a customer.

Found out in Somalia when conversing with our contemporaries in the Air side of Ordnance and Ammo, they still use black powder in the charges in ejection seats in military aircraft.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back