• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX Update (again)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, From what I understand, and I am unable to footnote my data, the only modern weapon systems that could do substantial damage to the New Jersey and its like were torpedoes and nuclear weapons.

The New Jersey fired support for us on a costal operation in I Corps, RVN. Through the morning haze every morning we could see ships way off shore and wondered which one might be the New Jersey, then one morning there it was, no mistaking it, the other ships were still there but the New Jersey dwarfed them all!!! Impressed the heck out of a bunch of grunts that weren't too impressed with much of anything anymore. The shells going over sounded like a high speed locomotive!!!!!! Thanks for your support Squid's, God bless!!!!
Robby

I’m hopeful production begins, our 4h leader is trying to get black powder and western heritage added to the 4 h shooting sports. It would be a selling point if powder was available more easily.

There is a reason I don't like Goex and it's their lack of support of youth shooting sports. Contact Tambi at Schuetzen. They care about youth shooting sports and kids getting involved in black powder and muzzleloading, unlike Goex.

I served on the Big J when they Reagan brought them back into service . We were the first one to get re commissioned in 1982. The Iowa, Mighty MO and Wisconsin followed us into service throughout the 80's. All decommissioned in the early 90's.

Very cool! I’ve been watching the channel “Battleship New Jersey” on YouTube a lot lately. Super cool! Thank you for your service.

I don't think, what with computer-guided Hawkeye missiles, etc., that they use battleship guns anymore; maybe on the Constitution or something. One guided missile from an enemy could take out a whole aircraft carrier without even being in eye sight. Those 16" guns that Reagan used against the terrorists in the 1980's are obsolete.

They still have a purpose.Terriosts and third world countries don,t have Hawkeye,s and the like.

I was on the Re-commissioning crew of the USS New Jersey BB62 in 1982, Served onboard 5/82-5/84. We used mixed bag powder to fire 5"/38 and 16" Main Battery. It was a great ship to serve on and we had that Engineering plant streaming 11 months straight on or '83-'84 cruise, including our time in Beirut. Here are a few pics from my time onboard. I served in E Division. The Big J is in Camden now.
Too bad its resting place is just off the coast of Camden......LOL

They still have a purpose.Terriosts and third world countries don,t have Hawkeye,s and the like.

Unlike modern weapons, you can't jam a one-ton bullet heading your way courtesy of an unjammable clockwork fire-control computer. Put in the co-ordinates, by hand, crank the handles, by hand, read the resultant fire solution, send it to the gun room and KA-boom.

My Grandfather served on the USS Mississippi and had many stories to tell.

HOWEVER, this is STILL THE MUZZLELOADING FORUM!

Being that some members want to discuss Naval weaponry in the Shooting Accessories section, I am forced to lock this thread.

Feel free to open a thread on Battleships in the non-muzzleloading section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back