• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX Storage Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Para1911A1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just got all the pieces to go shoot my first C&B Revolver.
I got one of those Traditions brass cylinder shaped flasks. If I fill it and go shooting, what should I do with whats left over? Leave it in there or pour it back in the original Goex container? I have a dry ammo box to store it in for moisture control. How long do you guys leave powder in your flasks? Will it hurt the brass?

My powder goes back into the factory bottle after I get done shooting. I do not leave my CVA cylinder flask with powder. I have had this flask for some 30 years and really like the tarnished look. I have never cleaned it and it still works flawlessly.

I leave it in the flask, I have had Pyrodex clump in a flask before but no problems with real BP.
I never pour powder back into the original container for fear of contaminating it.

Also be sure to rub the fine threads on your Flask with a little beeswax, this will prevent corrosion or fine dust from the powder seizing the caps on. It also makes the brass on brass threads screw on easier.

Beeswax is 18th century anti-seize.

I leave it in the flask, I have had Pyrodex clump in a flask before but no problems with real BP.
I never pour powder back into the original container for fear of contaminating it.

Also be sure to rub the fine threads on your Flask with a little beeswax, this will prevent corrosion or fine dust from the powder seizing the caps on. It also makes the brass on brass threads screw on easier.

Beeswax is 18th century anti-seize.

Yes, what Carbon 6 said is so true. I agree 110%. And the beeswax trick is almost a forgotten thing of the past. Hell i still use beeswax as a lube gunsmithing. Just have to heat it up and it finds its way into many hard to remove threaded parts...But that would be a start for a new thread on the forum.

I have a 20 gr spout. do I still need to pour in to the measure, the the gun. Some say not to pour from the flask to the firearm in case there are any glowing embers. Won't the valve stop the flask from exploding?? i thought that was the whole point of using a flask with a sized spout?

I have a 20 gr spout. do I still need to pour in to the measure, the the gun. Some say not to pour from the flask to the firearm in case there are any glowing embers. Won't the valve stop the flask from exploding?? i thought that was the whole point of using a flask with a sized spout?
That is partially true, but experience has shown us that the gate on a flask valve will stop powder, but it will not stop plasma flash.
The valve is not a seal, the tolerances will will stop powder grains just like a flintlock vent liner will stop powder from pouring out of the side of the gun. It does not stop an ignition flash.....

When the flask was invented no one worried much about the powder flashing back into the flask, leaving you holding a brass hand grenade. The literature of the day suggested pouring from the flask straight into the chamber. But it only takes once to cause a 911 call and an ambulance ride. The same as some may have poured from the horn, (especially on TV), but it certainly isn't recommended. I agree it seems a little redundant to use a measuring flask then pour it into a powder measure, but safety must be paramount.

I've left real black powder in a horn for over 10 years, (college, marriage and new career) and in a flask for several years with no ill effects.

I blow down the barrel and swab after every shot, so the ember situation is eliminated.

I agree!!! Not worth the risk. Loading speed during the civil war was an issue. I have all the loading time I need. Thanks guys!!!

In a long gun or even a single shot pistol where your loading and loading as quick as you shoot , you for sure don’t want to risk loading from a flask. In a revolver where you shoot and wait a few minutes before reloading it’s not a problem.
Much less of a problem then the ‘danger’ of nitrated cartridges. Those you can load with ball all ready in. If there was a spark it would shoot right then.... not a hand grenade but a live round.... talk about 911.
Its pretty hard to see how a hot ember could stay alive as long as it took to shoot, walk to your loading area , make sure old caps are off and cylinder spins easily and start reloading.

I agree!!! Not worth the risk. Loading speed during the civil war was an issue. I have all the loading time I need. Thanks guys!!!
During the uncivil war almost every soldier used a premeasured powder charge and a projectile wrapped in a paper cartridge. They did not use flasks or horns. That too - was as safe as what we do today!

I’ll load from the flask for the first shot, then from a measure after that for safety. I do load my revolver from the flask spout but as previously mentioned give it some time between loading story prevent an accident.

Thanks to All !!! This forum has the best people. I've asked a question on others and got one or none answers. Every time I ask here I get many responses.

Back