• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX sold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the lucrative Government contracts they have about all the powder they need and GOEX actually bought powder back from the Government last year.
Perhaps for now, but it will be consumed or go bad - it's not eternal, right?

Or are they replacing it and they have enough to last until the conversion is complete?

"They have all the powder they need" is a bit ambiguous so I am curious about what that means.

Perhaps for now, but it will be consumed or go bad - it's not eternal, right?

Or are they replacing it and they have enough to last until the conversion is complete?

"They have all the powder they need" is a bit ambiguous so I am curious about what that means.
Black powder doesn't go bad. If anything, it gets more potent over time. I have two cans that are 50 years old. It's still good to go. I will open one of those cans this year, I think. I will put the empty can on a display shelf where I have older cans of smokeless powder like Alcan and Dupont.

It means that they had a quantity such that some was declared surplus and sold to GOEX.

When I was in the service, if we did not use all of our ammo each quarter, they cut our allotment back the next quarter. Can see why they sold it back.

The military uses black powder in fuses. When I went to demo training inbthe 70's, we were taught how to time fuses for setting charges. Black powder was used as it had a consistent burn rate.

Didn’t our Government have a hand in disrupting the supply chain from Green Mountain barrels a few years ago…

Something too do with production of Military barrels vs continuing making Muzzleloading barrels…

Asking for a friend….🤥

IMO.. there's more to this than we'll ever know, why, if you planned on selling a company why would you shut it down first.. ??? the workers would all try to get new jobs and seems to me experienced workers at goex would be a good thing,,,an they kept the products that prolly makes them money, without many of the risks.. not sure if its gov't ..insurance.. or greed,, you'd think the brand name would be a great incentive to buy.. but so far no one has admitted to buying or their intentions if they do... i'm thinkin insurance..seems insurance runs this country..jus my opinion.. am my hopes are not high.. hope i'm wrong!

IMO.. there's more to this than we'll ever know, why, if you planned on selling a company why would you shut it down first.. ???

The fire and explosion in June, 2021 shut the GOEX plant down. i don't believe the plant ever resumed production.

Didn’t our Government have a hand in disrupting the supply chain from Green Mountain barrels a few years ago…

Something too do with production of Military barrels vs continuing making Muzzleloading barrels…

Asking for a friend….🤥
That was the rumor that was going around...but I mentioned this to a gun builder one time and he said "hog wash". I believe you know this guy (initials T.C.). Anyway, during that time he said that if you ordered enough barrels and had the funds to cover them then they'd make em for you....He had the funds and plenty of Green Mountain barrels.

My understanding was and is that Green Mountain signed a contract with the government to make a ton of M4 barrels, a part of that contract is that while in production they are not allowed to make, or have the materials to make any other barrels on premises.
They no longer make the swamped barrels, too bad, all their barrels are top notch.
Robby

Interesting point. I did find one online source indicating that GOEX did lease the property at Camp Minden. If so, how can Hodgdon sell it? Hmmm.
For some gallows humor, I found an article relating the number of explosions at Camp Minden, giving rise to it's nickname "Kaboomtown."
I did call Hodgdon last week and the gentleman I spoke with indicated the sale was not yet final. Didn't ask who owned what.
Probably sold the buildings like what Dupont did when Hodgon bought and the lease on the land was included in the sale, depending on how the lease was termed.

I bought a case of kick a few years ago from Powder ink certainly there's got to be some overseas manufacturers somewhere although the president has shut off Russia as a source of ammunition

Back