• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a can of this stuff. Never seen it or heard of it before. Can I use it just like any black powder? About the same granulation as FFg except its more like tubular and shiny looking. Goex FFg on the right and this stuff on the left.

Attachments

• 20230330_110147.jpg
    20230330_110147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230330_110229.jpg
    20230330_110229.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 0
The cartridge powder is designed to be used in the 45-70 type cartridge rifles, like the Quigley rifle or trapdoor springfields. You should check with a manufacturer about using it a muzzleloader.
Ohio Rusty ><>

GOEX Cartridge was a grade of powder granulated to be between ffg and fffg. It was marketed toward the growing black powder cartridge market but was also used by many muzzleloading target shooters to win national matches. It has not been made in many years, but it was a most excellent powder especially for slug and bench rifles.

It shoots great in a muzzle loader. I wound up with several pounds left when I sold my two '74 Sharps. I have two MLs I am now shooting it in and am going to try it in my new 1851 navy.

I have a few pounds of this powder also, I use it in my .36 cal. percussion rifle, .50 cal. flintlock rifle, and 1851 Colt repro. .36 cap & ball revolvers and have no problem with its performance, just work up a load like the rest.

I would not be overly concerned about using Goex Cartridge in a ML, but, and this is a big but: you said you "acquired" it, not that you bought it from a reputable supplier. If you have a half can you got out of the trunk of somebody's '56 Buick Roadmaster, it might be anything at all. If it's Hercules Bullseye, you could create a pipe bomb if you put it in a ML barrel.

At very least, I would pour some out and touch it off with a long match just to see how it burns. If it goes "poof", that is one thing, but if it burns slowly... that is something else... which means that the powder is also something else. You can't always identify powder by just looking at it. I learned a long time ago not to use powder with a sketchy provenance.

Back