• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX PLANT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodgdon has no plans to cut back on Pyrodex or 777.
So if their reasons for discontinuing Goex is over bottom line. Do you believe that they will survive on Pyrodex and Triple 7 products alone? I thought they were closing the plant entirely.

They are closing the plant entirely - the GOEX plant, which is where GOEX products are made.
So I take it that Pyrodex and Triple 7 are made elsewhere and are not following suit though owned by the same people and the same bean counters won’t be looking to shut them down. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

So I take it that Pyrodex and Triple 7 are made elsewhere and are not following suit though owned by the same people and the same bean counters won’t be looking to shut them down. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Your assumption is correct. The "bean counters" didn't just arbitrarily shut the GOEX plant down. As had been said already, the plant had a costly accident. Like any company, Hodgdon did a ROI (return on investment) analysis for the cost of putting the plant back in operation and couldn't justify the investment cost. I have no doubt that if there hadn't been an explosion/fire then GOEX would still be shipping powder. I have no doubt that part of their decision included comparing the sales trend for black powder substitutes vs real black powder. I hate it but you can't fault them too much, corporations exist to make profits.

Do you believe that they will survive on Pyrodex and Triple 7 products alone? I thought they were closing the plant entirely.

Hodgdon is a huge manufacturer/distributer of smokeless powder. They own numerous other brands of powder including IMR, Accurate, Ramshot and Winchester. Hodgdon owns BlackHorn 209. Black powder is small peanuts to Hodgdon.

Hodgdon | Hodgdon

Last edited:
Hodgdon is a huge manufacturer/distributer of smokeless powder. They own numerous other brands including IMR, Accurate, Ramshot and Winchester. Hodgdon owns BlackHorn 209. Black powder is small peanuts to Hodgdon. .
Good to know. Thanks.

The date code is 256/93 which is 1993? Are they still in business (Elephant BP)

IIRC, the Elephant pant was flooded back around 2000, and later the machinery was moved and produced Diamondback Blackpowder. As far as I know, Diamondback is also defunct.

The PRE 25-99(?) lots of Elephant were grey, lots of variation in grain size, weak, and dirty. The later stuff was MUCH better, black, shiny, much more consistent in grain size.

Last edited:
I have 3/4 of a can of 2f Elephant powder, from 1998. It is grayish in color. I dont intend to shoot it, its kind of my "last resort" can. Let's hope I never get to that point.

Question. Where will the military get it's BP for munitions use?

From what I've read the military has a government plant (in Indiana I believe) that can produce black powder though it is not currently in use. I would expect they could get it going if they felt the need. For that matter they can also buy imported powder for their uses. The military has already been revealed to be using foreign contractors for many items (uniforms, boots etc.) and money never seems to be an issue when the military actually needs anything.

Hope GOEX is bought by another powder company or upstart that has enough money and backing to make the business productive and a success. If not, I've always thought that "Olde Eynsford" sounded like a great name for a fine single barrel high octane rye whiskey. They could center it on the top shelf right between Bulleit Rye and Old Overholt. I can already see the pints and fifths with the label "Olde Eynsford 95" "Frontier Whiskey" Straight 95% Rye Mash Whiskey, 110 proof, with just a touch of gunpowder added to each batch.

So if their reasons for discontinuing Goex is over bottom line. Do you believe that they will survive on Pyrodex and Triple 7 products alone? I thought they were closing the plant entirely.
Maybe the rise in "modern" muzzleloading arms will keep sales of those, and some other BP subs profitable! Not all M/L folks are into doing things the old way; especially as real BP is hard to come by at the local Walmart/sporting goods stores! But I doubt there will be a shortage of real BP. However I do believe we'll be paying more for it! A friend just purchased a few lbs of Swiss at $40 per lb! I do hope KIK powder will get back into production! If the link work it shows a comparison done between GOEX, KIK, and Elephant powders: Comparing Goex, KIK and Elephant brands of black powder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back