• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX PLANT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it look like my Bess turns into a wall hanger. At 90 grains a shot it burns a pound up in roughly 70 shots. Going to use my smaller calibers for a while until this all sorts out. Good thing I keep a healthy stock on hand. My Flintlock pistol that only takes 25 grains might get more use.

The manufacture of black powder is dangerous. That GOEX black powder plant has experienced seven fires/explosions since it became operational in 1997.

IMO: It's unlikely that anyone will re-open the plant.

I started out with percussion and cap n ball guns.

Your statement could not be more wrong. There are at least 4 variations of fake black powder. Pyrodex is only one. It is a tested fact by me,, and others that None have the efficiency, lock time, consistency, or the easy non corrosive cleanup that black powder does. Even the relatively dirty brands like Elephant, Ludic, or whatever from Mexico and the Chinese powders ...out perform pyrodex and triple etc. A huge plus is all the fake powders have a shelf life. They expire. Black powder if kept dry etc, has an indefinite shelf life. That is a huge plus for me, and most of us.

My personal opinion and only an opinion, the fake powders and pellets belong not to muzzleloaders, but to modern firearms. They are a class by themselves. Fun to shoot, and have their use, but not muzzleloaders per sec. Just because it's a front stuffer does not necessarily make it a muzzleloader.....but that's just my opinion.
Sorry, I guess I have been living a delusion in my happy use of Pyrodex RS and P for the last 25 years. Please don’t wake me up…..

My, how times change! When I started shooting muzzleloaders in 1958 our powder was made bu DuPont and sold in one pound flasks that fit neatly in a coat pocket. Cost about $1.50 pound!

1632928216726.jpeg

"How much powder can be stored on a shelf before a magazine is required"

It depends on your location. Some locations only allow one pound.

It sounds like setting up a plant in Mexico might be a good solution. Fireworks and black powder is a large business there. From every angle I can think of it is a good fit. The only problem is import issues. Swiss, Wano, and Elephant figure that out, so it must be possible.

Last edited:
It sounds like setting up a plant in Mexico might be a good solution. Fireworks and black powder is a large business there. From every angle I can think of it is a good fit. The only problem is import issues. Swiss, Wano, and Elephant figure that out, so it must be possible.

Cowboys basically originated from Mexico, kind of fitting that BP revolvers could be saved by them haha.

I love how our new moderators and staff keep warning us to keep politics out of everything....
Even though in our current world politics is effecting everything we do.

DELETED

The closing of the plant is a business issue. Thank you to American shooters using subs and foreign powders.

DELETED
OR you could start a thread about this in the American Politics section. Just a thought...

LD

Last edited:
I can get plenty of 4F maybe should get a few, but right now my question is can you shoot 2F for pistol instead of 3F I have more 2F ??

Pretty disheartening, I just got into the hobby and was wondering why I couldn't find BP anywhere. I thought about making my own but seemed too dangerous when something safe was just $20 a lb.

Please keep it civil, There was a plant fire.
yes and just think about all of those poor people who are going to loose there jobs! it ain't all about you!

OR you could start a thread about this in the American Politics section. Just a thought...

LD
Dave et.al. I appreciate this forum and all on it for their contributions to our Sport. We know that Politics are deeply threaded into our Hobby at almost every turn. This is a fact. One cannot discuss the aspects of our Hobby without touching upon positive or negative things related to Politics. To set up a firewall for topics that cannot be discussed unless one pays for the privilege makes this no better than the very ones that are against us. Pay for expression of opinion? I would re-evaluate the current policies.....lest this Forum may go the way of Goex. If people want to contribute to the fiscal well being of this Forum it should be left to choice. Respectfully, JMO

Dave et.al. I appreciate this forum and all on it for their contributions to our Sport. We know that Politics are deeply threaded into our Hobby at almost every turn. This is a fact. One cannot discuss the aspects of our Hobby without touching upon positive or negative things related to Politics. To set up a firewall for topics that cannot be discussed unless one pays for the privilege makes this no better than the very ones that are against us. Pay for expression of opinion? I would re-evaluate the current policies.....lest this Forum may go the way of Goex. If people want to contribute to the fiscal well being of this Forum it should be left to choice. Respectfully, JMO

Respectfully I disagree, the rules are there for a reason, not everyone sees through the same lens, and almost 100% of these discussions will result in heated arguments with insults being thrown. Politics has been banned on most web discussion forums since I was a kid because of this reason. I don't see this forum as being an exception to that rule, in fact it might be even more heated here.

They have a section for people to discuss it, keep it there. Personally I come here to discuss lubricants, debating the best way to engage with my hobby, and learning how to shoot best.

Respectfully I disagree, the rules are there for a reason, not everyone sees through the same lens, and almost 100% of these discussions will result in heated arguments with insults being thrown. Politics has been banned on most web discussion forums since I was a kid because of this reason. I don't see this forum as being an exception to that rule, in fact it might be even more heated here.

They have a section for people to discuss it, keep it there. Personally I come here to discuss lubricants, debating the best way to engage with my hobby, and learning how to shoot best.
I thought thats what the civil war section was for....:)

Don't we have enough threads about this?
Well the amount of threads and the length is not one of the parameters that I'm supposed to use to lock a thread or delete one....,
I was simply answering the implication that not talking about politics in this thread was somehow "burying" a head in the sand..., when the fact is if one does want to talk the perceived politics of this event, there is a place to do it...this isn't the subheading where one may, however. That's all. ;)

LD

It's my recollection that Goex was first an imported powder coming from Belgium. Nowadays I think most pronounce the name Go-ex as a two syllable word when it is properly a one syllable word sounding more like G'ex. If it was foreign made in the beginning perhaps a foreign maker can pick it up again, or launch a new brand at a comparable price.

Graf's black is just rebranded Goex. It seems to me Grafs might have an interest in producing powder from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back