• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GOEX PLANT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pyrodex doesn't work well in a flintlock priming pan at all. It can work if mixed with real BP inside of the bore. So if you want to mix half and half BP/Pyrodox in the bore, and still prime with 4F, its a good way to stretch your supply. You can probably get away with more than 50/50 mix but I'm not well educated on the matter.
It is commonly recommended that you do not mix blackpowder and Pyrodex in the bore. The accepted practice has been to put a small charge (10 grains or so) of blackpowder down the bore first followed by Pyrodex. The Pyrodex charge is reduced by the amount of the blackpowder igniter or kicker charge. The easier to ignite blackpowder sets off the Pyrodex with minimal if any delay.

It is commonly recommended that you do not mix blackpowder and Pyrodex in the bore. The accepted practice has been to put a small charge (10 grains or so) of blackpowder down the bore first followed by Pyrodex. The Pyrodex charge is reduced by the amount of the blackpowder igniter or kicker charge. The easier to ignite blackpowder sets off the Pyrodex with minimal if any delay.

Thanks I will edit my post to reflect that!

I just bought 3 cans of Pyrodex Select. In my smoothbore, I'll put in 40 grains of 2F BP then 40 grains of Pyrodex. That will extend my BP stock for the forseeable future.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Gentlemen, before we all run down the street with our hair on fire... please remember...

There have been MANY shutdowns, fires, explosions, closures, buyouts, etc etc of several black powder companies over the last 50years. Each time they were rebuilt, repaired, bought by new investors, etc

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS, anything political will be removed and warnings will be given for repeat offenders.

Everyone please take a few deep breaths.

I called Dixie Gun Works to see if they still had it in stock and was told that as of this morning, there was a limit of 1# per grade per customer. They also kicked up their price to $32.50 Lb. Definitely not worth the drive.

How many PSI Can a Black POwder firearm handle? Maybe design adaptotors to be able to use 3,000 psi air from Scuba tanks. while were at it. lets add high capacity Magazines to pressure feed the guns. and fully auto triggers. lets see 100 rounds of .50 cal Maxi Balls at 3,000 psi. that should be able to keep BLAMTIA out of the way and the Tex Mex border clear of invaders.

Traditional muzzleloading represents a small minority of a marginalized sport. GOEX manufacturing isn't profitable and thus it's being closed. Providing other brands on black powder are profitable they will continue to be available. Very few gun shops I buy from, sell blackpowder, primarily because the low interest in the sport deters investment. It's a highly regulated explosive and not worth the aggravation for most dealers to carry.

As much as I want the Goex plant to re-open in 2022, I feel that the current political climate vis-a-vis anything firearms related, in conjunction with the past decades of increasing legislation/laws/taxation in order to make the United States safe from anything perceived as dangerous (and what could be more dangerous in the minds of the average citizen than black powder); leaves me with very little hope that the Goex & Olde Eynsford brands of black powder will continue. It looks like Hogdon has capitulated to the political correctness side of society.

I doubt the PC stuff.
1. The archaic designation of black powder as an explosive.
This is problematic for shipping, local venders and storage.
2. Liability the plant blows every few years
3. Labor costs/liability/training..see#2
4. The substitutes and all the Kool Aid that came with them.

Where does the navy get it's powder for the big guns. I thought they still used sacks of black powder. in some of the guns
No. In fact, they don't even use those big guns anymore. Any shipboard guns use modern powders, and the 16" guns are all on "tourist" ships docked for public appreciation. Plus, tomahawk and guided missile projectiles are in use. Even aircraft carriers, can be put out of action by one single Chinese/Russian guided missile hitting it amidships. Different World, today!

I suspect Hodgdon's announcement will lead to panic buying and further shortages of BP. However, we aren't completely without hope as Crater Fireworks/Addicted to Blackpowder may still be in business and is a pleasure to deal with.

Traditional muzzleloading represents a small minority of a marginalized sport. GOEX manufacturing isn't profitable and thus it's being closed. Providing other brands on black powder are profitable they will continue to be available. Very few gun shops I buy from, sell blackpowder, primarily because the low interest in the sport deters investment. It's a highly regulated explosive and not worth the aggravation for most dealers to carry.

Very few gun shops carry Black Powder because they need a separate Magazine to store it, state and federal requirements and paperwork. This is nothing new; when I got into muzzleloaders in 1979 there was One vendor an hour away who had a proper magazine.

Can we use a bit of logic? 100 black powder shooters in your club. 10 shooters 'hoard for future use. No more BP available. Your club now has 10 shooters and goes broke. The "unmentionable" club gains 50- 90 members and becomes healthy and expands.. Who has gained/lost? Polecat [Remember the guy who bought millions of bottles of hand sanitizer . ended up giving it away or selling at a great loss].

I have never liked anything but flintlock rifles since I got started in muzzleloading back in 1971. At that time, age 17, I could purchase a one pound can of black powder from my local, family owned, third generation hardware store that was just over the Baltimore City/Baltimore County line here in Maryland. No restrictions, just a couple of questions from the owners son to make sure I wasn't going to go make pipe bombs from it.

The world that I inhabit today, 50 years later, bears no resemblance to those seemingly distant times. my beloved flintlock longrifles are in serious danger of being sidelined for good.

For those that point out that new black powder plants have always opened after an old plant closed its doors, I say to you that I hope that the past is indicative of the future as regards to the Goex plant in Louisiana closing come 2022.

My fears, and I don't feel like I am an alarmist, is that there is a new paradigm afoot.

LIke I said, I hope I am wrong, but I think that the handwriting is on the wall as regards to my muzzleloading shooting in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back