• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX PLANT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodgdon Press Release

Attachments

• Goex.jpg
    Goex.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
As much as I want the Goex plant to re-open in 2022, I feel that the current political climate vis-a-vis anything firearms related, in conjunction with the past decades of increasing legislation/laws/taxation in order to make the United States safe from anything perceived as dangerous (and what could be more dangerous in the minds of the average citizen than black powder); leaves me with very little hope that the Goex & Olde Eynsford brands of black powder will continue. It looks like Hogdon has capitulated to the political correctness side of society.

I deal every day with "the masses" and I seriously doubt that any of them know anything about "gun powder" let alone Black Powder vs. Smokeless, etc.

Glad I socked away some GOEX for a rainy day.

LD

Luckily, some foreign brands still exists, like Swiss.

But Goex was a mainstay. My guess is it held the bulk of the market. When much of the supply of a commodity disappears, that can have repercussions on the rest of the industrial supplies.

Only time will tell.

And black powder is so much cheaper in Germany, even with a VAT added to the price. Guess it will all be imported and they will double the price.

Another form member just cued me in about Goex closing down! I just got my 1st flintlock about three weeks ago! It came with a partial cans of FFFg but that’s all!! This stinks!!

We may have to go to making do on our own.The ingredients are available after all. And there are the substitutes. If it's Pyrodex or nothing the Pyro wins.
In cap guns Pyrodex has been entirely satisfactory, its‘ the flintstone boys who have to come up with a plan B. I’m sure we will get no official help from anywhere.

Black powder was the igniting charge in the 12" 14" and 16 " Naval guns
We don't have any of those large guns anymore
I'm thinking the 76mm rapid fires on Destroyers and Cruisers is our largest

I went out and did an inventory am down a few pounds and was able to buy 5 lbs of 3f Goex to resupply. That will keep me shooting for the foreseeable future Then may have to start buying Swiss and Scheutzen as it becomes available.

I went out and did an inventory am down a few pounds and was able to buy 5 lbs of 3f Goex to resupply. That will keep me shooting for the foreseeable future Then may have to start buying Swiss and Scheutzen as it becomes available.

Where did you buy, checked everywhere and its all OUT OF STOCK.

New to BP shooting, so bear with me. How well does Pyrodex powder work in a flintlock rifle? And will it be more readily available? Load equivalency with BP?

New to BP shooting, so bear with me. How well does Pyrodex powder work in a flintlock rifle? And will it be more readily available? Load equivalency with BP?

Pyrodex doesn't work well in a flintlock priming pan at all. It can work if mixed with real BP inside of the bore. So if you want to mix half and half BP/Pyrodox in the bore, and still prime with 4F, its a good way to stretch your supply. You can probably get away with more than 50/50 mix but I'm not well educated on the matter.

I've been corrected below, please refer to that post for the accurate way to use substitute powder!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back