• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex News......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zimmerstutzen, that is likely true for most of the manufactured components we use regardless of manufacturer.

Even in to 1947, ammunition was still not being produced for civilians. The War time Federal agency for establishing priorities for use of materials had not yet released it's grip on things like brass lead and copper. And like was seen recently, what little ammo was being produced was being hoarded.

Nobody is doing that. This just puts Goex back to or very close to where they were originally with the govt being a huge consumer of BP. It's a normalization and pretty much the fix for what everybody and their brother have been complaining about ever since the closing was announced. Most people really want to think it's bigger than it really is, but very few even realize how small our niche market is in the BP world. We are barely a drop in the bucket compared to what the govt buys. Probably nowhere near enough to cover the overhead.
Just like everyone complaining about percussion caps. Percussion Cap production is such a small part of CCI and Remington UMC's production and they don't make a lot of profit from percussion caps. I'd bet that Remington UMC hasn't made any discernible profit from caps since the 1860's. They make them to serve customers because they are expected to make them. Even though places like Dunhams and Cabelas charge $12 a tin now, it probably still costs CCI $5 to make that tin, after the brass, primer, packaging etc then the packing up and shipping out by well paid American Union workers , and fuel to get them to the store, that Dunham's likely paid $9 a tin wholesale for...... it's not like anyone is making huge profits off $12 tins of percussion caps.

Just like how I was actually shocked to read that ammunition manufacturers make little profit from .22 production, they just make it because the same customers who buy .22 also buy 9mm, 30-06 and others. On top of LE and DoD contracts for "service ammo" which are big $$. I worked at a nuke plant and we went through 10's of thousands of rounds of .40 and 5.56 per year. The guy who shoots a few boxes isn't even on the radar.

.22 isn't a big money item for ammo makers, they make it because they always have and stopping the production of .22 , especially by an American ammo company would cause much uproar.

I would like to see documentation on the civilian security personell using stock AR-15 rifles that only had semi auto configuration. I would think even civilian contractors in a war zone would fall in with the federal government guide lines on weapons. Just asking for a friend.
I saw, with my own eyes, Ugandan security personnel that were paid by NATO, carrying box stock Bushmaster semi-auto AR-15's.

Ugandan civilian contractors were paid to do gate guard and security on larger Coalition FOB's and Airbases.

They would never be issued something like a Colt M4 carbine with a 3-round burst or an M16A2, those are military weapons and paid for by the DoD for issue to our military, and carefully accounted for.

My documentation is myself, seeing them and watching them zero them on our zero range. The same 18" Bushmaster carbine and 20" AR15 I myself own, which is why I took special note of it.

Last edited:
@Stantheman86 is correct on this and I have stated the same before. 22 ammo and percussion caps are gateway products. They have never been a profit maker. They’ve always been window candy to keep customers buying more of everything else.
This is why all the people bombarding Remington and CCI with nastygram emails demanding cap production to ramp up are just being silly....the PR reps reading these emails are probably laughing like yeah ok we make 20 cents a tin in profit off those, you'll get what we make

Percussion cap users are a splinter fraction of the shooting world ammunition market and most people that do buy them get 1 or 2 tins for hunting or to plink with a cap and baller.

Voracious percussion cap users like many of us are extreme outliers. I popped 40 Rio Musket caps today shooting, which is normal for most of us but for the average consumer that has a weapon that uses musket caps is probably more than they'd use in a year.

This is why all the people bombarding Remington and CCI with nastygram emails demanding cap production to ramp up are just being silly....the PR reps reading these emails are probably laughing like yeah ok we make 20 cents a tin in profit off those, you'll get what we make

Percussion cap users are a splinter fraction of the shooting world ammunition market and most people that do buy them get 1 or 2 tins for hunting or to plink with a cap and baller.

Voracious percussion cap users like many of us are extreme outliers. I popped 40 Rio Musket caps today shooting, which is normal for most of us but for the average consumer that has a weapon that uses musket caps is probably more than they'd use in a year.
I agree.

A lot of us also burn up many pounds of black powder, I've had guys who go out for muzzleloading season tell me they still have the 1 can of metal can Goex they bought in 1998 because they fire a sighter or two each season and then a few more at deer in the field.

I tell them I burn up a can a week sometimes and they're like, that stuff costs money who shoots that much black powder? Recreational use of muzzleloaders is a strange concept to some of the people I've talked to.

I distinctly remember, a few months ago, my coworker talking to me about Flintlock primitive deer season and I'm like , you just gotta stock up on flints so you can keep them on hand, and he's like I've had the same flint in there for 10 years I'm not worried about it. I wonder if he actually ever shoots that thing

A lot of us also burn up many pounds of black powder, I've had guys who go out for muzzleloading season tell me they still have the 1 can of metal can Goex they bought in 1998 because they fire a sighter or two each season and then a few more at deer in the field.

I tell them I burn up a can a week sometimes and they're like, that stuff costs money who shoots that much black powder? Recreational use of muzzleloaders is a strange concept to some of the people I've talked to.

I distinctly remember, a few months ago, my coworker talking to me about Flintlock primitive deer season and I'm like , you just gotta stock up on flints so you can keep them on hand, and he's like I've had the same flint in there for 10 years I'm not worried about it. I wonder if he actually ever shoots that thing
Yes, while I don’t shoot as much as you do, I still burn several pounds a year. It’s always been my nature to stay well stocked with whatever I need whether that be flints, caps, balls, or powder. In the great scheme of life it’s not that big a deal to spend a few hundred bucks and get what you need. This is a great hobby, it should be enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back